New brake pads

M

marsaday

Do i need new discs when i get my pads changed.

They have a few thousand miles left to go and i had a puncture today and so when i got that sorted i asked them about the pads (at last service the garage said they would need doing in the next 6mths or so).

This place said i have a bit longer, but the discs will need doing as well. The inside is smooth, but the rear side is a bit rougher. I really wonder if they do need changing.

Car done 54k miles

Sponsored Links
You don't always need discs when you get new pads, but you do need someone reliable and honest.
It's also hard to tell how much mileage/time is left on them because that depends on a lot of things too.
Get someone you know and trust to give their opinion but, don't scrimp on safety.

Since we have been using asbestos free pads for a while now, there has been considerably more wear and tear on the discs.
Fitting new pads to old discs is ok, so long as there isn't too much rust (usually on the inner face of the disc) and the disc itself isn't worn too thin. However, the driver needs to give the pads enough time to bed in - i.e to match the profile of the worn disc.
The good thing is though, new discs are very reasonably priced (main dealer excluded) so its worth considering them.
I've started fitting drilled and grooved discs recently (courtesy ebay) and I'm impressed with the fact that the disc face remains clean and shiny.
Quite handy when your vehicles sit around for a while.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Modern friction materials do tent to wear away cast iron discs faster than
the older pads containing (now banned asbestos) used to do.
54K is not too bad.
Always specify the best you can afford, when servicing brakes and tyres, your safety depends on it.

Wotan

Back