NEW BRICK WALL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am going to have a new front garden wall built.

It's going to be a curved wall, 14m long X 1.2m high, 225mm thick with a 330mm pier built at either end.

The question is, do I need any piers in the middle and how many?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Not really not with a 225mm thick wall of that height.. unless your putting in some huge gate or something.. but you may need a movement joint unfortunately as its over 12m..

330mm on a 225mm wall may work straight nick on the return unless you stagger the two leaves of masonry to start with.

Thanks for coming back to me, I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain.

And now for the piece of string question.... How much can I expect to be charged to lay 2000 bricks?? What's reasonable?

I'm supplying all materials and will have a labourer.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Couple points. No intermediate piers required..
Static has good point ref expansion joints, personally would not worry, You are only 14 metre long with no hard end restraints just two end piers. If she is going to expand she has enough flexibility to go both ways and as you say you are working on an arc, so she can go out that way as well.
You don’t say what radius you are working curve to. Hope you have got enough depth for radius peg to work your arc from. Both bricklayer and ground worker will need it to set out from.
Price. Notice you are from Herts. Used to be a lot of good greedy bricklayers round the Stevenage and Garden City area.
I think that possibly the rates here are higher than what noseall would expect to pay up in his neck of the woods.
You are working on an arc, therefore can not pull a line. Sixteen course at least, lay four bricks, level four bricks, plumb min twice every four bricks, sixteen times every course, and that’s just the front. Going to be very very slow. Throw another problem in, what is your arc going to be, loose or tight. If it is tight affects your bond in relation to your perps. Could slow it down even further.
Can not work out how many brick you want as do not know whether the 14m is on the straight or round the arc.
I would budget for a decent 1&1 400 brick a day, but the hoddy would be scratching his back side half a day as he would have nothing to do.
Cheapest way out for you find a good single bricklayer who wants some week end work and labour on him yourself.. Hope helps.
old un

and in relation to the string, its twice as long as from the middle to the end ;)

Thermo, Your my hero. Been worrying me self witless all week, as I have a clothes line to put up for me old granny and was not sure how long it should be.
One other question please. I was going to make the height level with me old grannies eyes. Do you think I should stand her on the grass to get correct measure or on a milk crate?
old un. (Thermos My Hero) :D

I see you Duke. Do I call you Sir, Your Lordship or Nobby.
Must get me mince pies tested.
old un. :D

I think that possibly the rates here are higher than what noseall would expect to pay up in his neck of the woods.

Paying a brickie £600 will get you 2k bricks laid, of a fashion.

Maybe not dentil work, gables or finishing a wall with headers and crease but it is a starting point. I did say upwards.

I'm supplying all materials and will have a labourer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back