The Oldun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm asking this question to Oldun as he has answered all of my brick work questions......so far.

I am having my 1.2m x 12m, 225mm wall built.

Is it best to apply a 'Thompson seal', to seal the brick work?

Andy

Sponsored Links
In all honesty Andy, I can not answer your question as I have never used the product.
All I can say is that the first time I was let loose with a trowel was when I was fifteen years old in 1952. I was put in the middle of two good old bricklayers, on a 1800 high by 60 metre long garden wall. I often go past that wall, and it may not look quite so clean, but it is near as good as the day we finished it.
I do not believe in these chemicals as in my opinion they do not allow a structure to breathe. The old uns who taught me always said that brickwork and stonework must be allowed to breathe.
Possibly if only one side was treated, it may be okay.
Sorry, I can not be of more help.
Regards. oldun ;)

Blimey , you are an old un , old un ;) . I popped out early in 1954. I used Thomsons on my chimney ( bungalow) because I couldn`t see exactly where the water was coming in through the flaunching and down the liners - Didn`t look too bad , but still leaked . -Poured a load around about the pot . Blow me it worked :LOL: . So it has some uses, but I think you are dead right about the wall - Long may you reside on the forum . ;)

Thank you for coming back to me Oldun. My brick layer is in his early thirtys and his advice was the same as yours saying that the wall needs to breathe. I just wanted it from an expert with a few more years.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Blimey , you are an old un , old un ;) . I popped out early in 1954. I used Thomsons on my chimney ( bungalow) because I couldn`t see exactly where the water was coming in through the flaunching and down the liners - Didn`t look too bad , but still leaked . -Poured a load around about the pot . Blow me it worked :LOL: . So it has some uses, but I think you are dead right about the wall -
Long may you reside on the forum . ;)

Hear Hear Nige',,,, nice comment!! ;)

About 4 years ago I had the sandstone surrounds on my old farmhouse sandblasted taking off numerous layers of paint, Sandstone is like a sponge and in went the damp (no cavities) and I ended up with damp. I used Thompsons and it seems to have worked. The one thing I would say is if you use it make sure you have had a good dry spell and the bricks are bone bone dry and then soak it with the water seal. If you don't you may seal in moisture.
tul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back