New build - adding gas?

G

gcltd

Hi, we are planning on building a property on to our existing home. When adding gas mains, is this costly and can it be done by any gas engineer? Also can this be split from our gas supply? Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
no gas supplier would have to put in new main to new property and does not come cheap you can get a free survey and price i think you can go on line put in details the length of the pipe run position of gas box etc and it then gives you a quote on line national grid/transco had this couple of years ago but was not cheap about "£2700.00 costs nothing to get a price
peekay53

Also can this be split from our gas supply? Many Thanks
New house = new gas supply from the road. NOT from any existing property.
Same applies for the electricity, water and drainage, all of which will cost far more than the gas supply.

Sponsored Links
If looking at new build perhaps forget about gas all together.

Lots of insulation, air source heat pump, underfloor heating.

Then electric is only requirement.

Perhaps addition of solar thermal and solar panels.

Government will even be stupid enough to pay you for it.

Ensure a roof points directly south and make sure it's a nice big area.

Thanks, I will investigate all for costs and decide. Thanks again

Hi, good prices, better than expected, £780 inc excavation or £380 with me excavating. Thanks again

Hi, I'm looking at charges now for electricity to be added to the property, once I have this rough price I will investigate your suggestion, I assume elec only for power and heat would be a cheaper fit? But is ths affordable compared to gas and elec on a monthly running cost? Thanks

If you have gas, stick with gas. Also as it's a new build get a vat registered installer, as it may well be eligible for zero vat. That'll pay for atleast a years worth of utilities.

Hi, I'm looking at charges now for electricity to be added to the property, once I have this rough price I will investigate your suggestion, I assume elec only for power and heat would be a cheaper fit? But is ths affordable compared to gas and elec on a monthly running cost? Thanks

Air source heat pump will be as economical as a condensing gas boiler.
If you install solar at the same time you are running it off free electric.

That is grossly over-simplistic. You cannot assume that there will be enough sunlight to give you free "electric" whenever you need central heating. Further, the performance of an ASHP drops right off in the coldest weather, just when you need it most.

Manufacturers who sell both heat pumps and boilers will tell you that in a mains gas area it is best to use a gas boiler with weather compensation.

Have a look at solid fuel boilers. You will need space to store the fuel, although it would only take up similar space as an oil tank.
If you share the use between the old and new buildings there is a very lucrative 'renewable heat incentive' scheme that could pay back the installation costs over only a few years. Combine this with other renewables as mentioned in previous posts and in the long term you will be quids in (especially with rising fossil fuel prices).
There is some debate as to the efficiency of heat pumps as they use quite a lot of electricity to run.
Good luck!

That is grossly over-simplistic. You cannot assume that there will be enough sunlight to give you free "electric" whenever you need central heating. Further, the performance of an ASHP drops right off in the coldest weather, just when you need it most.

Manufacturers who sell both heat pumps and boilers will tell you that in a mains gas area it is best to use a gas boiler with weather compensation.

If you insulate properly. The heating requirements of a new build with lots of insulation a minimal. Big gas boiler is 20 years out of date with the times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back