New build drywall visible joint lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new build flat this year and there are very visible joint lines in the drywall in all rooms of the walls and ceilings. Is this normal??

I've had the walls checked and they are all within the 5mm tolerance as none are mis-aligned and apparently are not required to be skimmed.

Is there something else that should have been done to prevent these visible lines?

hallway wall.jpg
bedroom wall.jpg
Hallway ceiling.jpg
Ceiling.jpg

Sponsored Links
is there any movement in the protruding bits if you press them?

Critical light from the side will cause this and front door with light coming in from the end will show every little mark or bump. Dose look bad but I can't help thinking ever house looks like this with light across it. Put straight edge across.

I had one where I could not slide a sheet of paper under straight edge as metal straight edge was tight to wall but when light came across it showed a bump

Sponsored Links
it should be dead flat and perfectly smooth . no matter what light you put on it. in a nutshell that’s p!ss poor workmanship.

it should be dead flat and perfectly smooth . no matter what light you put on it. in a nutshell that’s p!ss poor workmanship.
This is about the best result you will get on here.
It's crap workmanship, only to be expected on new builds these days.

Yes, wow, thats awful. I mean I guess we all have to learn. But it just gets worse. You’d think they’d have got the hang of it after a couple of walls. Its not that hard really. Whoever actually did those walls doesn’t even have youtube.
I’d maybe sand the joints flat but its a hell of lot of mess.

Use a mirka Hand sander, linked to a hoover... you’ll hardly get any dust(y)

I’ve found that dust is quite hard going on a hoover. It clogs the bags or filters because its so fine and there will be a lot of dust. But I agree it’ll work. Belt and braces plug in a fume extractor and go through the house with a blower after wards whilst fume extractor still switched on and your wife won’t have to dust for a week too.

Taped and jointed work as opposed to skimmed - fairly common on new builds these days on grounds of speed and cost. The raised bits look fairly narrow to me. TBH I'd expect the jointer to lay down a 6 to 8in wide first coat on the joints, sand it out, then lay a second coat 10 to 12in wide and sand that out, feathering it out with a drywall paddle. The screw heads just get a "scrape" of drywall filler for both coats but because they are in a flat area of the board (as opposed to the long edges which should be taper edged) the boarders must ensure that they sink the screw heads properly. The jointer generally uses a giraffe sander hooked up to a vacuum to do the sanding - this type of sander uses a very large diameter sanding disc (circa 225mm) which helps to take out the bumps better than a small size sander does. They can be hired.

Flex Giraffe Sander.jpg

Even with a good jointer the joints are often just still visible to my eye in certain lighting (obtuse angle) but a competent taper and jointer should be able to do a lot better than this.

Incidentally, if the walls are finished with a wallpaper or a textured coating these "lumps and bumps" will often be less obvious. Diffuse as opposed to directional lighting also hides the defects.

Out of interest what did the show flat look like? If it is dead flat I'd expect the same quality of finish in yours and I'd be complaining as this should come under the first year's warranty, surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a lot of the joints are not sanded properly and tbose that look flat are showing, when the joints have been sanded they must be primed before painting to ensure they are uniform with the rest of the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back