New Build Flat - Engineered Floor Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Gents and Ladies,

I'm soon to be laying engineered flooring in my 2nd floor new build flat (finished construction Jan 11). The existing floor is 300mm concrete covered with 22mm acoustic chipboard. Just a couple of questions please!

1. Am a right in understanding that I do not require DPM. Therefore Timbermate Duratex would be just the right underlay?

2. I am using reclaimed engineered floor (sanded at the factory). I assume my floor will still need acclimatising for 72 hrs?

3....and finally. Is it neccessary to test for moisture / humidity before I lay the underlay or can I just start laying it?

Thanks in advance all. I'm a new homeowner, complete beginner in DIY! I did manage to put a blind up today though!!

Thanks

Hellboy

Sponsored Links
you are proposing to put a hard floor down in a second floor flat?

I pity your downstairs neighbours.

I am surprised you are not required to provide less sound nuisance.

yep, just as the post says.

Spoke to the residents downstairs. They dont hear a thing even when I'm moving crap around in boots on the chipboard floor.

Thanks for the constructive advice though

The underlayment you mention is the right one for this situation.

do you know where the wood-engineered floor has been stored before it comes to you?

Make sure you leave an expansion gap all around the perimeter of the floor, don't forget pipes etc - which will transfer sound down also.

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike.....thanks!

Sadly I don't know where it has been stored. I would like to get the underlay bought and laid down. Do you reckon this underlay will have good enough acoustic properties?

Thanks all,

Gav

Don't understand why you are worried about the acoustic properties after you write :

Spoke to the residents downstairs. They dont hear a thing even when I'm moving crap around in boots on the chipboard floor.

Do you reckon this underlay will have good enough acoustic properties?

Thanks all,

Gav
Timbermate gives extra sound-insulation (and the rolls are quite heavy! Be aware of this when you have to carry them up the stairs - or is there an elevator in the building?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back