New build hot water cylinder

Sponsored Links
Where's that Dickie, Bearsden or Milngavie????
I think that's nationally D.

No, no dear boy Puller Towers is in Bothwell, where all the Football stars & drug dealers live. Bearsden & Milngavie are no longer desirable areas.

Looking at the skirting boards and door linings I'm guessing this is a Call home? Most building companies have a different spec for systems depending on whether it is shared, social or private housing. I also know that the builder's generally won't allow you to have a copy of the plans. Did they give you a copy or is it from the planning application etc?

The system you have set up seems to be done nicely and neatly. The controls are arranged in that fashion to give you an airing cupboard of sorts. You have 2 zone valves in there as the size of the house requires it to have independent hearing zones to comply with document L of the building regulations. The weird looking elbow valve thing is an automatic bypass valve. If the boiler pump was running and the zone valves were closed the auto bypass would open to allow the water to circulate.

It is worth checking under your kitchen sink to see if you have a small potable expansion vessel fitted to the cold pipe. This is needed for this type of installation. It should be a round metal ball about the size of a tennis ball.

Looking at the skirting boards and door linings I'm guessing this is a Call home? Most building companies have a different spec for systems depending on whether it is shared, social or private housing. I also know that the builder's generally won't allow you to have a copy of the plans. Did they give you a copy or is it from the planning application etc?

The system you have set up seems to be done nicely and neatly. The controls are arranged in that fashion to give you an airing cupboard of sorts. You have 2 zone valves in there as the size of the house requires it to have independent hearing zones to comply with document L of the building regulations. The weird looking elbow valve thing is an automatic bypass valve. If the boiler pump was running and the zone valves were closed the auto bypass would open to allow the water to circulate.

It is worth checking under your kitchen sink to see if you have a small potable expansion vessel fitted to the cold pipe. This is needed for this type of installation. It should be a round metal ball about the size of a tennis ball.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
No the plans were direct from the housing association.
I am due to take a look at the property this week so will keep an eye out for the vessel you mention.

My only concern with the airing cupboard is there is no electric heater - would be really handy to have one to help dry and air clothes.

Also as this is a three bed, if ever we extended and had an extra bathroom, I am not confident the existing system would cope. I guess we could install a power shower to get around it maybe?

Sponsored Links
If in the future you did build an extension and put in another bathroom you could just upgrade to a larger boiler. The above post is right you could just fit a small radiator in the cupboard. Alternatively you could get a plumber to make those pipes longer, they will put out heat when the heating is on. They are designed in that way to not only allow easy access for maintenance of valves etc but also to warm the cupboard so that you do have an airing cupboard of sorts.

If in the future you did build an extension and put in another bathroom you could just upgrade to a larger boiler. The above post is right you could just fit a small radiator in the cupboard. Alternatively you could get a plumber to make those pipes longer, they will put out heat when the heating is on. They are designed in that way to not only allow easy access for maintenance of valves etc but also to warm the cupboard so that you do have an airing cupboard of sorts.
Interesting, ok. But when you say "put a radiator in there" I get that you could put a water based one in for what you said, but with an electric one, what power wires would it need to run off of?

Would it be expensive?

It's reassuring to see you think the pipe work is neat and done well.

I wouldn't bother trying to run power to it in order to add an electric radiator. To be honest you probably don't need one. That pipe arrangement should be sufficient to heat the cupboard. I'm sure you could give a plumber on site some cash and they could fit you a small radiator. It would be a very easy job.

I wouldn't bother trying to run power to it in order to add an electric radiator. To be honest you probably don't need one. That pipe arrangement should be sufficient to heat the cupboard. I'm sure you could give a plumber on site some cash and they could fit you a small radiator. It would be a very easy job.

Thanks, ok makes sense. If we go for the property, and I see any plumbers roaming the site, I will ask.

Whilst we are on the subject, how much do you think they would charge / is it possible to remove this radiator in the bathroom and put in a proper towel drying one? Not used to these square ones in a bathroom, doesn't give you much drying space at all for a three bed house:
Photo_10-06-2017_16_23_31_-_Copy.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/q9dzditb1/Photo_10-06-2017_16_23_31_-_Copy.jpg

Yeah that's doable, the pipework would need altering as it's probably on 10mm plastic at the moment. You'd need to get the wall patched after the pipes have been changed. Probably looking at £150-£200 labour for plumbing, £50 for the patcher and another £100 for the radiators and valves. That's a very tough estimate for the area I operate in.

Yeah that's doable, the pipework would need altering as it's probably on 10mm plastic at the moment. You'd need to get the wall patched after the pipes have been changed. Probably looking at £150-£200 labour for plumbing, £50 for the patcher and another £100 for the radiators and valves. That's a very tough estimate for the area I operate in.
Thanks, very helpful. As this is a Shared Ownership new build with two year developer snags period, would I be voiding any warranties in getting this done? We have already established if I were to change the two zoned thermostats, I would be. I am guessing I may need to wait two years for this also?

Couldn't find a portable expansion vessel, but looks like there is some boxing the pipe work all goes into, so maybe it is hidden?
IMG_4162_-_Copy.jpg

It wouldn't be hidden as it needs access for maintenance, it's a serviceable item. I like the nice burn on the back of the unit and the odd arrangement of the waste pipes. Some top notch plumbing right there...

Couldn't find a portable expansion vessel, but looks like there is some boxing the pipe work all goes into, so maybe it is hidden?
IMG_4162_-_Copy.jpg
Do you think I should have a moan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back