new build house rendering cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm Graham no building experience so i'm looking for a bit of advice from the experts.

I have bought a new build house been in it for just over a year n a half,i know new builds move and settle and cracking can occur.

My house is brick at the bottom and breeze bloke and render at the top.

Now the problem

The render has crackrd below my back bedroom window about 2foot my neighbours has done the same but at the side of there house.Anyway the builders say they will just come out and repair the crack,is this ok to do?Or should they take the render off and see whats happened behind the render like the breeze bloke or mortar cracked?

Any advice would be great as the builders are coming out to have a look tomorrow and i would like an idea of what i'm talking about.

Sorry for going on so long

Sponsored Links
Hi graham,
Im no expert but ill tell you what i was told when in a similar situation.
If the crack runs diagonaly rather than verticaly or horizontally and is less than a quarter of an inch wide(and doesnt get progressively wider) then it is not cause for worry.

What I would do if i were you is get a long pin and see if it can penetrate the crack more than an inch...this will tell you if the blockwork is cracked or not.
If it is i would insist the render is removed a few inches either side of the crack and have the crack pointed up before re rendering.
Rgds,
Marty.

Hi graham,
Im no expert but ill tell you what i was told when in a similar situation.
If the crack runs diagonaly rather than verticaly or horizontally and is less than a quarter of an inch wide(and doesnt get progressively wider) then it is not cause for worry.

What I would do if i were you is get a long pin and see if it can penetrate the crack more than an inch...this will tell you if the blockwork is cracked or not.
If it is i would insist the render is removed a few inches either side of the crack and have the crack pointed up before re rendering.
Rgds,
Marty.
thanks martyc

You can't repair a crack without chopping the edges away and fitting wire mesh so you'll have plenty of chance to see what is going on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back