new build,how much and how long for 1st and 2nd fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, i know you cant see the houses or plans but i cant get an answer of daily rates for love nor money from a plumber, ive built pair of semi's,comprising kitchen, lounge, W/C, 3 first floor beds and bathroom and bed and ensuite on the top deck. being a new build i expect it to be a whizz but cant get an estimate of how long or daily rate, can any one help, with advice on what the plumber should be telling me he's going to do so i can be sure he knows what he's on about,

kind regards

matt
07971 978044

Sponsored Links
The few new builds I have done recently in the past, I have always quoted 12 days from start to finish, me on my own, using copper.

Currently I charge £300/day +VAT (re-claimable on new build) plus all materials.

When I was subbing on site new build using plastic, it would be 5 days start to finish, including all soil stacks, heating, kitchen, bathrooms etc etc.

it all depends, like everything, whether you are trying to get a price for the cheapest solution, or the best quality.
a couple of p*****, erh, i mean eastern europeans who bring their own cowboy to sign it off should do the job for a tenner an hour.
might not be quite legal or very good, but it will be cheap.

thanx guys- no wonder there reluctant to tell me there daily rate- it sounds worse than a total figure and helps them being vague on days. all i need now is someone who i feel is competent, im on the border of nottingham and derby if any1 got any numbers.

kind regards

matt wood

07971 978044

Sponsored Links
What do you mean you have built ? , how far along are you as a lot of the plumbing work would need to be decided and done before various stages of construction.
Also this is a major cost in a builing project how can you have priced it up with no idea . Not a good move

what i mean namsag is ive built a pair of semi,s, i presently have the roof on, no windows, floor boards on all levels, but no ceilings, i believe my next stage is staircase which is happening this week, so im fairly sure im ready for 1st fix electrics and plumbing, once the stud partitions are underway on 1st floor.im not sure about how you question how i have been able to price this up- obviously this was my reasoning for this post- because i am struggling to get it costed.please expand and what is and isnt a good move, as ive said, anything you can tell me that i should be hearing from the plumber will be appreciated.

kind regards

matt wood
07971 978044

it is chipboard friend, but no one who has been around has pointed out any mistakes im making or the need to back track, i have a concrete ground floor if your reference to plastic was from that, but is there a substantial difference in performance from copper to plastic. i dont think any of the main developers, eg taylor wimpey, use copper so should i be requesting the use of one or the other????

kind regards

:oops:
Just re-read your post.

You have built these semi's and now your on a Diy forum asking for advice :confused:
I would be kicking the project managers arse for letting the build go on without any forward planning or price for the plumbing. :evil:

it is chipboard friend, but no one who has been around has pointed out any mistakes im making or the need to back track, i have a concrete ground floor if your reference to plastic was from that, but is there a substantial difference in performance from copper to plastic. i dont think any of the main developers, eg taylor wimpey, use copper so should i be requesting the use of one or the other????

kind regards

Hi Tommy,

You are correct when you state that all the big name builders now use Hepworth or their counterparts (Apart for Haslam Homes) in their new builds.
I was a house basher (As the snobs on here call it) for many a year and there is nothing wrong with this system and i would even go as far as to introduce manifolds on it to save even more money (But for God sake use copper where visable).
There is no substantial difference except the lack of jonting used in Copper and if you get the pipes sized and run correctly for a 12 rad system(EG) you can run a couple of lengths of 22mm on the first floor with 6 4port 22x10 manifolds and 10mm plastic the rest of the way and as i said there is then little or no need for any further fittings.
Another bit of advice just from experience is when you are ready for your first or second fixes make sure you have the doors and windows in as everything will go unless.

Thanks
Charles

Sorry mate,

Actually on your subject we were expected to first fix a 3 bed detached with one ensuite (Plumbing and heating) in 2 days and the same again for the the second fix.
People whom have never worked on New builds tend to forget the ease of access you have as apposed to domestic properties.
So if you budgeted at a 40hrs per man (Gangs of 2) per property with whatever JIB rates are at the moment (Pressuming you buy the materials for the Free Vat) then you should be there or there abouts.

Thanks
Charles

thanx for the last couple of posts lads, im hoping i'll get there soon- as for project manager- that might be me :( as i havent thought the need for one !!! thanx again.

kind regards

matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back