New build issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Just slowly in the process of moving into a new build from Charles Church (yeah I know), and apart from the comedy snags like taps wired up back to front, dishwasher waste not hooked up etc I just noticed these two issues under the worktops.

Not being in anyway electrically competent I can’t be sure this is off, but feels like it is.

Can someone who knows regs etc comment on what I need to throw at the developers to sort this stuff out.

Under the worktop earth cable just hanging out, and power for washing machine chilling out under the water inlet/waste.

Is this something that really shouldn't happen, or just acceptable but sloppy? I am due to have a stern conversation with site/customer services on Monday, so be handy to know the issues I am raising other than rubbish workmanship.

81C8B19D-11C4-48BA-B3DC-B349CAED01B5.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Water supply in a new build is probably plastic pipe, if that is the main stop tap, so bonding (not earth) cable probably is not required but can't tell from the internet. It needs testing.

Socket needs fixing somewhere so is not finished. Nothing wrong being in a cupboard with water pipes.

Thanks for the reply.

So socket just needs tidying up and fixed somewhere.

Stupid question, so yellow handle is water pipe rather than gas?

What would be the thinking behind leaving a cable just loose like that? Should it be terminated somehow?

Sponsored Links
So socket just needs tidying up and fixed somewhere.
Yes.

Stupid question, so yellow handle is water pipe rather than gas?
Oh, I just assumed it was water related to the other picture/question.
As it is gas it is more likely that the bonding cable needs connecting to the pipe but not definite.

What would be the thinking behind leaving a cable just loose like that?
There if required, I presume.

Should it be terminated somehow?
As above.

The other end should be at the Main Earthing Terminal - a block near the meter or in the consumer unit.

Yes.

Oh, I just assumed it was water related to the other picture/question.
As it is gas it is more likely that the bonding cable needs connecting to the pipe but not definite.

There if required, I presume.

As above.

The other end should be at the Main Earthing Terminal - a block near the meter or in the consumer unit.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. That's the pipework underneath the combi-boiler/hob. I'll gently remind the developers to connect things/tidy things up.

It's an apartment, so will have to pop outside tomorrow when it's light to have a look, but it looks like it is.

No need - if that is where the gas pipe enters your flat, then the bonding cable must be connected to the pipe.

This is, of course, assuming it is a bonding cable which goes to the Main Earthing Terminal.

I'll run it all past site on Monday.

It's kind of expected to run into these issues on new builds, and was expecting some snags. But I have been genuinely surprised at the lack of any care shown. At least on my development.

What does your Electrical Installation Certificate say about gas and water bonding? If you don't have one, make sure you get a copy from the builder.

You are not alone by any means these days.

THAT has got to be the understatement of the year so far. I wouldn't touch a new build with a 50 yard bargepole with wotsit on the end. Cardboard crap erected in super record time with no regard to finish etc and super super inflated prices, oh yeah and garages that you cannot put a car in. Give me a properly built 60 0r 70s house/bungalow any day. I'm looking for somewhere to be nearer to my family but older bungalows, which is what I want, are like hens teeth. I actually live in an older bungalow at the moment so I shouldn't have too much trouble selling it but finding somewhere else is another matter not to mention the finance at my age.

I have found older houses no better, not only problems from original design and build quality, but also add on work, and not talking about DIY add on work.

At the moment have a problem with roof leak, which is seems is down to design and water going down the cavity wall. 1970's house, and the builders have left the site.

I never got a installation certificate with either of my new houses, not even labels on the fuse box, they both had faults, the remember the solicitor writing the letter except for and a long list of faults, yes the property is complete, and when you buy second hand, you hope the faults have been corrected, but that depends on previous owners, if it was buy to let, often faults not fixed, and builders long gone.

Some one today has to inspect and test and complete an installation certificate and put their name to the work, this should in theory be also checked by the LABC inspector in new builds, I know I had where a change in design changed the finished floor level been taken to task on socket heights, although it seems LABC inspectors do rubber stamp things without checking, where I use to live this included a street of houses built a meter too low, so they flooded if a storm drain blocked. What are those things on three legs for?

But is happens, I have fitted a socket to be fixed to a cupboard once kitchen fitters have finished, and one return found kitchen fitters still not finished, and boss said he would gets some one else to finish it, likely my boss did, but easy enough to get missed. In my days of house bashing, can't ever remember completing an installation certificate, it was last century, with commercial yes always had to inspect and test and record results, but early 90's no one seemed to worry with a house, likely why Part P came in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back