New Build MVHR Leaking Into Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have not long purchased my new-build home of horrors from Clarion Housing.
Among the long list of snagging defects is the fact that my MVHR is not actually clearing the condensation from some rooms.

Today was the 6 monthly filter clean day. Whilst changing the filters, I noticed that the MHVR has been leaking water for god knows how long into the loft in very close proximity to 240v cables. You can see the joists are pretty saturated as is most of the loft insulation.

As far as I can see, it seems to be leaking from the unnecessary U shape part of the pipework close to the actual MVHR unit. The pipe is on a natural slant towards the SVP. The MVHR has not even been secured down so moves freely, top notch building standards here.

I have never seen plumbing work like this and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on what needs doing to rectify this mess. Clarion, as is always the case, have neglected to get back to me and seem totally disinterested in the problems in such a new property.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot-2019-12-29-at-22-41-47.png

Screenshot-2019-12-29-at-22-42-01.png

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see, it seems to be leaking from the unnecessary U shape part of the pipework close to the actual MVHR unit. The pipe is on a natural slant towards the SVP. The MVHR has not even been secured down so moves freely, top notch building standards here.

I have never seen plumbing work like this and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on what needs doing to rectify this mess. Clarion, as is always the case, have neglected to get back to me and seem totally disinterested in the problems in such a new property.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot-2019-12-29-at-22-41-47.png

Screenshot-2019-12-29-at-22-42-01.png
A trap has been formed by the pipework - like the ones under sinks, baths, basins etc. The leak is probably a joint that hasn't been glued.

Sponsored Links
That is bad design and bad workmanship

Contact the NHBC ( National House Building Council ) on [email protected] and copy the emails to your local council's building control officer
or phone them and note date and time of the call along with what was said during the call. Record it if possible.

0800 035 6422
Office opening times: Mon to Fri 08:30 - 17:30

I thought Clarion made stereo speakers, or they used to!
My first portable tape recorder was a Clarion
upload_2019-12-30_9-1-12.png

Download the manual for the unit...that looks a botched install.
Normally a dry type condensate trap is recommended (eg. HepVo) since any water filled trap will dry out in the summer season.
The trap and perhaps the condensate pipework should be fully insulated since it's in the unheated loft space.
That "trap" can't be cleaned either so it's probably non compliant.
There doesn't appear to be any pipe support either.
Be aware that any installation faults will almost certainly void your warranty.

Some mvhr makers recommend solvent weld traps like that, and say add vegetable oil in summer to keep them sealed! Although they do say it should be correctly supported and sealed.
On ours i used a second trap with an air gap to isolate the foul system from the ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back