New Build: Skirting Board Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!
I live in a new build property. A while back our radiator started leaking and the water blew two of our skirting boards. It was a faulty connector into the radiator and all was resolved. We asked the builder to replace the skirting which they did but the guy who did it quite frankly made an awful job in a number of ways. Looking back now I should have insisted on it being redone but alas I didn't.

I've now sanded, glossed and completed the skirting, however I'm a little confused on which sealant to use. I'm an experienced DIY person however I wondered if anyone could advise me of the type of sealant I should get to reseal between the skirting and the chipboard floorboards? The sealant on the original skirting was rubber type/strecthy and came up quite easily but doesn't seem shiny enough to be silicone!? I've also read silicone doesn't bond with wood either.

Anyone out there whos know which stuff they use as I would like to restore back to the original installation.

The floor will be completed with carpet.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Chris
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably decorators caulk, Chris.....it doesn't fully set for ages and doesn't sand - but spreads nicely with a finger or sponge.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - would this be used for quite a large bead? It's a Convex bead of about 10-15mm. Is caulk elastic when dry? This is dull to look at and quite stretchy. the old stuff also came off the floorboards really easily...

I haven't used caulk that thick before and haven't found it to be really stretchy, but then I have only occasionally used it(and then it was on top between the wall and skirting). Its only around £2 a stick do give it a try

That's too much for any mastic bead really - decorators caulk is elastic to some degree though.
Consider using quarter round or scotia timber beading for this one.
John :)

It sounds like the Skirting boards have been fitted by the carpenter to allow for carpet to be fitted underneath them.

So I would leave well enough alone

It's not Roger - it's a new house so they are sealed off for energy efficiency tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back