New build- timber frame- idiot's guide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, a quick glance at current building regs for Scotland shows that things have changed a bit since I last looked! I helped my Dad with a self build in the 90s and at that time the standard way of putting up a house involved 100mm stud walls with exterior cladding of your choice. No worries.

Now it seems I will need to have a 300mm wall if I still want to use rockwool, how the heck do you build one of those?!

Is it basically obligatory now to use rigid insulation for new builds?

Or can you build a sort of hollow box for a wall using osb or ply?

An idiot's guide would be great to get me back up to speed...

Sponsored Links
If you stick with mineral wool and need 300mm of insulation.....

I joists or metal web joists for studs.

Staggered studs (google it if not sure).

100mm studs, then battens n cross battens for extra insulation.

Or mix n match insulation

100mm studs with mineral wool, then rigid insulation to the outside (with battens for the cavity and cladding.

Rigid foam between the studs, and insulated plasterboard.

Thanks a lot, tons of options then! Going to investigate staggered studs, they seem the most 'normal' option to me.
Is there a rule of thumb for what construction method works out the best value these days?

Sponsored Links
If you are planning a new build timber frame house, then scratting about on a DIY site for ideas seems a recipe for disaster. Surely you need an architect/technician with experience of timber frame to design it and sort out planning and building regs.

If you are planning a new build timber frame house, then scratting about on a DIY site for ideas seems a recipe for disaster. Surely you need an architect/technician with experience of timber frame to design it and sort out planning and building regs.

Well thanks for that. Like I said, I've been involved with timber frame construction in the past and just trying to get a handle on how things have moved on. Obviously I'm not going to just bash on and start building based on the advice on an internet forum.

FYI my Dad's house project never had an architect anywhere near it, but then he is a civil engineer by trade. The project I'm doing is a tiny (c.50m2) one bed cottage/studio so the plan is very much to do it DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back