New build uPVC window on dwarf wall bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently in a situation where the builder has installed a set of patio doors and 2 windows either side. On trying to walk through the doors, the actual opening due to the frame etc is only 560mm each door. I am of a larger boned build shall we say and its rather tight without turning your body sideways walking through the traffic door (hopefully I won't put anymore weight on!)

When asking the gent that's designed it, he advised me this was done to make the windows and doors look symmetrical (which was a nice touch but quite impractical for me as a daily traffic door)

We have asked them if it's possible to take 1/2 brick (approx 100mm) either side of the patio door width to make the door opening 200mm wider (that would made the door a smaller standard door but better than it currently is) and make both windows 100mm shorter width ways however it's been noted that at the moment in its current size, they are on 3 bricks (215mm length) and by shorting them would make them structurally weaker than 3 full bricks.

The roof is of a lightweight construction timber frame. The aperture is the same as it currently is, just the doors 200mm wider (at approx 1500) and each window 100mm shorter in width (approx 500)

Is 2 1/2 bricks enough for 500 X 1500 windows to be supported properly and is there anything we could do that anyone knows of that would strengthen the base and still have the 500mm windows in on 2 1/2 bricks?

So far the builders have been fantastic with catering with our needs and we hope they are being genuine with the concern raised but I can't rule out that financially it could be used as a way to keep the original plan as is.

Any thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
I can’t see any issue, it’s probably a cavity wall all joined together with brick ties

And in any case the window and door frames will be screwed to it making it all stiffer.

If the sidelights were made direct glazed, ie with no sash part, then the glass widths, doors and windows might be the same or close

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, should have said, Side windows don't have any openers. To look at the design drawing in its current set up, the doors and windows don't look same width. In fact, the windows look quite abit wider due to how the doors are.
I naively thought door were standard sizes (and they are to a fashion) just these aren't built for rugby folks like myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back