Replacing a window with a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0280.jpg
We would like to replace the above window with a door. Sadly the door would need to be wider, but would only need to be another 1/2 brick to be about the min. width we'd require.

The window is in an extension that was done in the 80s (I think, no earlier than 70s) - it is a cavity wall.

What's the best way to find out what's going on lintel wise here? Or generally the best was to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could be lucky lintel wise, depending upon what the nearest size available lintel, to bridge a (675mm?) opening. I doubt it though. Most likely a 900mm lintel above.

Is there any evidence of a metal lip on the outside course across the window - bottom of brick and the window guys may have siliconed against it?

IMG_0319.jpg IMG_8747.jpg

No sign of a lip at the front, the first pic shows the red/orange of the thin tile/brick things from above (sorry) going back as far as I can see (probably about 1/2 the depth of a brick.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that you probably need to install a new lintel. You can cut away some plaster from inside to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back