New Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw an article at the w/e saying effectively that from next year you need to either use a certified electrician, or get a Buiding Regs Inspector to validate your work (£130 was the quoted amount for an inspection).

This relates to changing consumer units, or even adding sockets etc.

Does anyone know if there a cheap/easy way for a person who is competent of doing this sort of work to get certified? If not, surely no one is going to tell their local Buiding Regs Dept that they are installing a shower etc to be charged £130 for some bloke to come and say that it's OK?

Sponsored Links
summergirl said:
I saw an article at the w/e saying effectively that from next year you need to either use a certified electrician, or get a Buiding Regs Inspector to validate your work (£130 was the quoted amount for an inspection).
OOI - where did you read this?

Does anyone know if there a cheap/easy way for a person who is competent of doing this sort of work to get certified?
No, there is not.

If not, surely no one is going to tell their local Buiding Regs Dept that they are installing a shower etc to be charged £130 for some bloke to come and say that it's OK?
Welcome to our world.

PartPee.gif

The article was in the Sunday Times Homes section.

I reckon that for people working on their own homes -they will just ignore it. If challenged (when moving, for example), you surely just say you did the work pre Part P. Nice to know our Council tax is being spent wisely!!

My dad, having retired, does 'Odd jobs', just for friends and family, I have a concern about him doing paid work and contravening these stupid rules. Looking at the Part P web site (www.partp.co.uk) it seems it would cost him at least £540 + VAT to be assessed to be a competent person.
He doesn't do enough work to warrant that outlay. So maybe he will finally get round to my mum's list of jobs ;)

Sponsored Links
Summergirl
If challenged (when moving, for example), you surely just say you did the work pre Part P.
Exactly, and it may be best to stock up with cable in the old colours then.

doesn't make much difference as the new colors are already in use and part P isn't in force yet

Ok, but if a diy person used the new colours in an existing house wired in the old colours what would they do about this?
Quote from IEE site:
If a designer or other person responsible for specifying an installation decides to use the new cable colours in advance of the amendment to BS 7671, it will be necessary for that person to record on the Electrical Installation Certificate for that installation a departure from the requirements of BS 7671, confirming that the same degree of safety has been provided as that afforded by compliance with the Regulations. Regulations 120-02-01 and 511-01-02 refer.

yes but the changeover period is already started so that is irrelevent for anything done from now on

and part p is not in force yet

ofc if an existing install is extented in new colors a warning label should be placed by the CU

You know, I just find a little bit of info - and then find there's this whole realm of stuff that I don't know.

Changing colours? Now you've said that, it makes sense cos otherwise, how would anyone know when the work was done, so murraysmudge has the answer, buy the cables now.

BTW, what are the new colours?
L

summergirl said:
BTW, what are the new colours?L

Pink for girls, blue for boys. :LOL:

As far as domestic fixed wiring is concerned, it's the same as for flex; Live is a horrible dirty brown colour and neutral is blue. Protective conductor, or earth, remains yellow & green.

Summergirl read about it here

Plugwash, I misunderstood then. I thought the amendment to BS7671 was going to be from Apr 1st 2006. You're saying it's already happened.
How about if someone moves house after Apr 1st 2006 to a house wired in the old colours. They can only get cable in the new colours so would have to say any new wiring requiring certifying was done by the previous occupier, which is checkable. If they used the old colours then it doesn't stand out so nobody will ask.

murraysnudge said:
Plugwash, I misunderstood then. I thought the amendment to BS7671 was going to be from Apr 1st 2006. You're saying it's already happened.
01/04/06 is when use of the new colours becomes mandatory. Right now you may use them if you wish, although I believe that it is getting harder to find the old colours.

How about if someone moves house after Apr 1st 2006 to a house wired in the old colours. They can only get cable in the new colours so would have to say any new wiring requiring certifying was done by the previous occupier, which is checkable.
Yeah but who's going to try and track them down?

And when Mr I.L.Adjuster comes knocking on their door and says "I'm a loss adjuster investigating the fire at No 13 Faraday Street; did you do anything to the wiring when you lived there?", they're going to give the same answer whether they did or not...

And anyway - if you can't do your wiring without the place burning down you deserve whatever's coming to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back