Third Party Inspector scheme - not going to happen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This article is in Connections magazine, but the text can be read here:
http://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/...hird-party-inspector-scheme-over-safety-fears

TP inspection scheme is where householders could DIY some notifiable electrical work and then get an electrician registered with a scheme to go and certify it afterwards.

Certsure are not going to operate such a scheme, and as that eliminates both NICEIC and ELECSA, this effectively means there won't be any TP inspectors.

Not very likely that any householders would have used it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Certsure are not going to operate such a scheme, and as that eliminates both NICEIC and ELECSA, this effectively means there won't be any TP inspectors. ... Not very likely that any householders would have used it anyway.
Quite so - I'm not sure that (m)any of us believed it would ever happen, did we?

The idea might have had more chance of getting off the ground (a reasonable amount to certify) had it been proposed earlier than last April - but to come up with the idea at the very same time as there was a drastic reduction in the amount of work that would be notifiable seemed particularly doomed to failure.

Kind Regards, John.

The idea might have had more chance of getting off the ground ...
Or if all scheme members (ie "part P" qualified as the public see it) were automatically allowed to do TP inspections. Having it as a different "ticket" was never going to get off the ground.

TBH, had all scheme members automatically been allowed to do it then I might well have used it from time to time. I'd rather pay a friendly spark than LABC ! I'll be doing some notifiable work before too long so there's £150 (or possibly £225) for "a bit of paper" :mad:

The idea might have had more chance of getting off the ground ...
Or if all scheme members (ie "part P" qualified as the public see it) were automatically allowed to do TP inspections. Having it as a different "ticket" was never going to get off the ground.
True - but I'm not actually sure that the proposal excluded that possibility. I never saw the 'qualifications' for a TP inspector defined anywhere, so I guess that was to be left to scheme operators to decide - and they therefore presumably could have decided to add this activity to the 'ticket' which all their members already had. I suspect it's more likely that they saw it (probably wrongly) as facilitating a system which 'deprived their members of work'.

... and, anyway, as I said, there is now so little that is notifiable (in England) that they perhaps just didn't feel it justified any time and effort on their part!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's more likely that they saw it (probably wrongly) as facilitating a system which 'deprived their members of work'.
Oh silly me, forgetting that they are there for their members' benefit, not our safety :rolleyes: Having sat through a talk by a rep from one of the trade bodies to a non-technical group, I found it hard resisting the temptation to call him on his many lies... err misleading statements about what does and doesn't need one of their members by law.

... and, anyway, as I said, there is now so little that is notifiable (in England) that they perhaps just didn't feel it justified any time and effort on their part!
Probably, but still enough is notifiable to be a bit of a PITA at times.

I expect to be working the system - I'll notify for "replace CU and add circuits", but it might take me quite a few years before I've finished all the work I intend ! Either that, or there'll be a number of sockets next to the CU so I can extend the 'existing" circuits later ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back