New burglar alarm box / old devices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the summer I bought a house with a burglar alarm fitted, but we've got no manuals, no codes, no nothing for it. We asked the previous owners, but they said that they never used it!

We got ADT round to look at it and they tried to flog us a contract at £20+ per month for "bells only" which effectively just covered maintenance - seems pretty poor value for money.

The options I'm considering are;

1) Replace the whole lot with a new system (either DIY or other).

2) Find a way of salvaging some of the existing system, but perhaps upgrading certain bits (eg replace the control unit if I don't know the code, adding extra contacts / movement detectors)

3) Remotgage the house and pay ADT's maintenance fees.

Any guidance / suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Do you know what make / model the alarm is?

If not, put a couple of photos on here and someone may know.

We may be able to tell you how to reset the user code, and also supply you with a user manual.

Thanks. Some photos below;

box.jpg

keypad.jpg

I know waht that is

just going to wait and see if any one else knows

Sponsored Links
That is a telecom 670

it has a"brother" the 685

685.jpg

the 685 has a LED dispaly on the keypad

Neither were ever meant to be "bells only", they relied on the signaling, they also do not have an external sounder, since as i said they rely on the signaling.

they are well past the use by date

You will also find that there is an odd resistor configuration in each detector, take my word for it becuse if they have the origonal detectors the plastic goes brittle and they easily break

I would suggest remove the whole lot (cables as well) and either install your own on call another alarm co for a quote

Thanks (even though this isn't the best news!!)

Is there anything I can salvage here? The current system is hard-wired. Can I keep the existing contacts / PIR and just replace the main box / keypad? Or do you really recommend binning the whole lot?

Can you recommend a good supplier for DIY-install alarms? I've seen some at the DIY sheds, but I'm never convinced that you get proper quality-for-money from them...

I don't see any reason why you should have to replace the cabling too providing it is all OK. As for the panel take it to the antiques roadshow might be worth a few quid. Seriiously though install a new panel , bell , contacts and detectors and you should be fine. Don't touch the DIY sheds best bet is to search online or if your not sure or don't feel compotent get someone in to do it.

Breezer it looks similar to the old grainger security systems with the plug on expansions boards for each zone. How old do you think it is. I'd guess 82

Can I keep the existing contacts / PIR and just replace the main box / keypad? ...

if they have the origonal detectors the plastic goes brittle and they easily break

I don't see any reason why you should have to replace the cabling too providing it is all OK.

I take it you have never seen how they actualy connected them then, twisted cable joints but not soldered.

as ivysystems said it does depend on the condition of the cables, but as i said they used twisted but unsoldered joints which is not good for modern panels, but that said it depends on how who installed, it installed it you may be ok

but you WILL have to run in a cable if you want an external sounder

they must be at leat 20 years old (it also can not be expanded, and comes as is, the 685 could be expnded)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back