New Ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After a bit of advice & guidance if possible please?

I need to install 2 pendants light and both will have two switches attached. My first question would be should I connect this to the existing lighting circuit or as I have availability in the current CU to make a new circuit?

Secondly I have ripped old ceiling down which I will replace with plasterboard, is there a best practice of routing cables through joists? I have the option of simply tracing around where wall will meets new ceiling, is this acceptable to save drilling through joists?

Thirdly(!) I am also running cat5 cabling does the same apply to this, must it be in conduit?

Lastly :D Is there a best height to have switches from the floor, I have read 1200mm?

Cheers for any help!

Sponsored Links
So both lights will have two switches each as a two way function.
It would be best to extended the existing circuit providing the circuit is not already at it's maximum load.
A new circuit from the CU could well mean the need of notification to building controls, if the work is carried out be a person who is not registered on a domestic installers scheme (competent person), this will depend where in the UK you live.
Again depending which room the lights are being fitted could also need notification, bathroom and Kitchens are considered locations where notification is needed.
Links
The law
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Installation in ceiling voids
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
in walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

If it is not a new build the switch heights are not regulated, but in new builds the guidance given by approved doc M is between 450 and 1200mm from finished floor level.
I don't believe cat5 must be in conduit, could be a logical method if it can be, ideally it should not be run with the electrical circuits and either run separate or in divided compartment.

Thanks for a very concise answer :)

As I understand it then, I can route the cables between the wall and roof as long as it is no more than 150mm from ceiling? I guess with the plasterboard in place it would actually be in the ceiling (if that makes sense?)

Adding a light? Best to install an accesible junction box?

Not a new build, so I will look at 1200mm from floor as best practice.

Cat 5 will be in own conduit alongside lighting cable as mentioned above...?

Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
I guess with the plasterboard in place it would actually be in the ceiling (if that makes sense?)
Yes it makes sense but then does not comply, as it is in the ceiling and should then be routed as within the floor/ceiling void
Adding a light? Best to install an accesible junction box?
Best to install a loop in circuit, but if a JB is used it must be accessible
Not a new build, so I will look at 1200mm from floor as best practice.
The choice is yours my friend

Cat 5 will be in own conduit alongside lighting cable as mentioned above...?
That sounds fine, you could find oval conduit is best to use. Just make sure the end connectors will fit through the tubes.
Thanks again :)
no probs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back