New Ceiling Skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the skim done on my ceiling. It's drying nicely so far and I'm planning on continuing my redecoration programme this coming Saturday.

I've heard from more than one apparently savvy building types that once a skim is dry, you should give it a coat of PVA, allow that to dry and then whack on your ceiling matt emulsion. I'm concerned that no one on here mentions this kind of priming before painting. Can anyone tell me the real deal ?

Sponsored Links
There is no need to PVA the ceiling first, just do a miscoat on the ceiling first, water down your first coat of emulsion, this will seal the ceiling, and show any imperfections, fill as necessary, rub down the filled bits, and dab a bit of paint with a brush on the filled bits prior to rolling, this avoids the filler lifting onto your roller, and gives the filled bit extra coverage, as can show through the coats.

Indeed...

Theres no need for PVA its an old husbands tale...

Never seen it in any books either..Light scrape..Mist..light sand..two decent ones..slightly thinned

Its plasterers mainly who believe that new plaster needs a thin coat of pva prior to emulsioning.

Sponsored Links
OKY apart from one noseall, hehe. Though i ended up not doing a job due to a plasterer giving a lady advice that walls need a pva prior to decoration. I basically explained i aint priced for pva followed by two coats of Supermatt emulsion. So she told me to get out of her house !!! I said oky then bye. But now ive been told that she pva it herself and guess what ! she over done it with the pva and the emulsion started to blister, ouch. Basically, if anything is over donw with pva then the emulsion ovet it will soak through the pva and cos it to blister. So be warned !

Ok so I should just gice it a couple of mist coats with a light sand between each one then whack on the vinyl matt ceiling paint ?

Thanks for your advice, guys . . . you're all brilliant !

To be safe buy Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion. Then thin down your first coat with 25% water and apply this ratio mentioned (Emulsion 3/1 Water) on your cieling. Then thin down your second coat with 10% water and apply this ratio mentioned ( Emulsion 9/1 Water) on your cieling. NB If your cieling needs a further coat then coat it again with second coat ratio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back