New celing

just in case my posts get removed look in your Comments
by double clicking your name thanks m8

Sponsored Links
Just got my fiirst quote.... :eek:

1. Cover working area with protective sheets.
2. Seal door ways with masking tape.
3. Pull down water damaged ceiling, removing all lathes and plaster.
4. De -nail all of he joists.
5. Screw and fix 12.5mm plaster boards to the joists, staggering the joints.
6. Scrim the joints and skim with 2 coats thistle multi finish to a smooth finish ready for painting.
7. Supply and fix 127mm Gyproc coving to the ceiling and wall edge.
8. Paint the ceiling and coving with 3 coats of Dulux white emulsion.
9. Clear away all the rubbish from the site.

Total including labour and materials: £1890.00

do you want me to come have a look for you i guarentee ill be able to do that job for less then that and to a better finish too

That's a labour rate of £500 per day. £600 - £700 max.

Sponsored Links
nearly 2 grand to replace one ceiling? there is loads of room for improvment on that price, are you a fit and able person? "ie" can you take the ceiling down yourself? also can you dispose of the rubbish? and can you paint? if you can do those things then all you have to do is pay for the ceiling replacement, ask for a seperate quote on just the ceiling install without all the manual labour see and what the difference is

Christ & I thought I was top end :eek: They have specked it for a total strip & re-board, always difficult without seeing it but some of us have already said it could possibly be repaired quiet successfully. You even seem to have a firm offer ;) & even my eyes would light up at the prospect of half that :LOL: . Removal is a ****ttty job for sure but that’s one hell of a price youve been given, I think someone’s doing a bit of phishing. :LOL:

that is a astronomical price wow-wee i think even if your did a few bits your self and got a seperate quote from them it would still be sky high. as i said in a pervious post if the rest of the ceilin is sound just bond it in flush skrim the outside then skim the whole ceilin maximum of a days work and proberly 20 to 30 quids materials depending on the size of ceilin so a possibillity of just 180 to 200 or as plstring has said hell do it for 70 that sounds like a lot better price than 2000 almost

Just got my fiirst quote.... :eek:

1. Cover working area with protective sheets.
2. Seal door ways with masking tape.
3. Pull down water damaged ceiling, removing all lathes and plaster.
4. De -nail all of he joists.
5. Screw and fix 12.5mm plaster boards to the joists, staggering the joints.
6. Scrim the joints and skim with 2 coats thistle multi finish to a smooth finish ready for painting.
7. Supply and fix 127mm Gyproc coving to the ceiling and wall edge.
8. Paint the ceiling and coving with 3 coats of Dulux white emulsion.
9. Clear away all the rubbish from the site.

you could get your whole room done for half that price, with change. dont jump in and get the cheapest quote either, you may have to get it completely redone all over again, be choosy its your ceiling after all :D

Unless you can find somebody recomended it pot luck who you get, sofar ive had 4 people over to look @ this one quoted £400 the other £1800 for the ame job...Think i want the old plaster removed & then board over the original lathes & new coving ect.

Why are you wasting so many people's time? How many quotes do you intend to get? 23?

Why are you wasting so many people's time? How many quotes do you intend to get? 23?

I think its more like they are wasting my time if they dont get back with a quote, & i wouldnt say 4 is so many..

So how many are you going to get then? It's a bit job not a major work.

i feel like you are wasting our time, our advice have fallen on deaf ears, your origonal post was to ask us the best way to repair your ceiling, having been told the best way, you are completeley ingnoring our advice, and instead you are showing us quotes for work for pulling the whole ceiling down, which none of us has recomended, one quote for £1800 the other for £400 both of these are unrealistic one to dear the other to cheap £400 to take that ceiling down? prep it, reboard it, skim it, cove it, and give it 3 coats of dulux paint?get rid of the old ceiling? including mats? all this for £400? and hes got to pay tax out of that? and most prob a lab as well, he will be working for nothing

well i was in that neck of the woods yesterday
and id of done it there and then cleaned out the patch boarded it and skimmed it up really good then all you need to do is paint it job done
in and out £70 id of got the mats from work but if he wants stupid
prices then ill do it for £2000

well i was in that neck of the woods yesterday
and id of done it there and then cleaned out the patch boarded it and skimmed it up really good then all you need to do is paint it job done
in and out £70 id of got the mats from work but if he wants stupid
prices then ill do it for £2000

I did try to send you a message, but im not sure how it works on this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back