New celing

yer but it don't squash out of the trowel and in to your face that way. :LOL:

On a ceiling, (thick coat) i prefer to put it on the same as you Marshy, (unless it's a tight coat and need it to spread),,, as you say, no mess in the face. :rolleyes: :LOL: Same as plastering a wall, work up into what you've put on.

Sponsored Links
Steve, are you saying that you raked out the laths after you took the piccie so that you get that mushrooming out effect above the laths? Did you PVA the laths?
now that rc has told me what you mean by mushrooming out i now know what you mean, and i dident say anywhere that i raked the joints out b4 or after for that matter, but for information purposes all debri was clear b4 i started the pricking up coat

Sponsored Links
wow thanks for all the replys guys, i dont know if it makes much difference but the size of the missing celing is about 4ft x 3.5ft.

Ive had 3 guys round sofar two say to pull the whole lot down, the other said to pull the old palster down & board over the original lathes.

None mentioned trying to repair the original celing..

wow thanks for all the replys guys, i dont know if it makes much difference but the size of the missing celing is about 4ft x 3.5ft.

Ive had 3 guys round sofar two say to pull the whole lot down, the other said to pull the old palster down & board over the original lathes.

You probably had 3 people who "can't" repair back to original. :rolleyes: It's so easy for them to rip it all down and plasterboard it,,, a messy cheap fix,,,,

but for a "plasterer" who's skilled in his job, it's so much cleaner and easier, to repair it, back onto the wooden lath.

Yes but with the amount of damage shown it is likely that the rest of the ceiling is duff. A ceiling shouldn't come down just because it gets wet. When you pull all the surrounding loose stuff away you may as well board it out. Those that quoted have had the chance to check this out.

You probably had 3 people who "can't" repair back to original. :rolleyes: It's so easy for them to rip it all down and plasterboard it,,, a messy cheap fix,,,,

but for a "plasterer" who's skilled in his job, it's so much cleaner and easier, to repair it, back onto the wooden lath.
i agree rc, to rip it down also means he looses his coving as well, another expense

no you wont m8 use a small grinder round the edge sorted no probs or mark up the patch cut it back with a grinder if its nice a thck use 9.5mm board cit to size screw it in skim it job done

why dnt you check out the rest of the ceilin your self if its nice and sound i.e not blown or loose i think i would go for the bond repair on the patch and then skim the entire ceilin that way its minimal mess you keep the coveing but you benifit from a nice new finish ceilin, as i said only if the rest of the ceilin is good to go though i would be tempten just to knock off the rest that has the water tide mark on it just to be safe and make sure whoever does it knocks it off carefully and in a way that they wnt make the hole bigger than they need to.
i have done a few ceilins like this before and they came out lovley once they were all skimmed up and as far as i know are still standing to this date.
just some food for thought
JRP

so what were their prices..... and was they recommended???

im off to essex sunday/monday if you want i can come have a LOOK AT IT FOR YOU NO PROBS

why not cut it out 4ft square if its nice and thick screw up a peace of 9.5mm plasterboard then skim sorted it will be stroner then the old celing
scrim the joints then feather in with filler and sand it back to stop it cracking
tell you what i can do m8 i can fit you in sunday/monday
£70 with mats hows that sound m8
jon 07536957847

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back