New central heating pump not working & pipes making strange noises HELP

Sponsored Links
and now his 82 year old farther in law (which is obviously of relevance and importance, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned his age) is sitting in a cold house....

Not that the issue I'm looking at explains the problem.

Did the plumber charge for his diagnosis?
No he didn't charge for his quote .
What is the issue you have seen? Only issue I can see is the electrical box on the pump is facing downward but that's the way is was and there wasn't room to turn it over as you see it goes into the floor of the loft and turning it over the right way would mean cutting into a cross beam!! So the qualified plumber who fitted must have made a mistake lol

Last edited:
Just noticed that the motorised 3way valve lever is loose and there is no resistance at all, what does that mean ?

Sponsored Links
To negate the issue with the electrical box, a better installer would have turned the head of the pump 180° to put the electrics on the uppermost side. Danger is with them on the underside, there is a possibility of the electrics getting wet, which isn't advised obviously.

Floppy lever would probably indicate valve is in mid position, (open to both ports), as both stats are calling for heat. Which, as nothing is working at the moment, is probably highly likely. :(

So you wasted his time, did half the job, messed it up, left your octogenarian FIL in the cold.

As it was a free estimate, and you don't understand the rationale of the diagnosis I'd be a bit careful with your LOLs for now.

I would be able to change the pump connection box to be at the top in about 10 minutes without cutting any wood.

But then I would charge £84 to visit to do that in my local area.

But I don't do any free diagnostic visits! After being paid to diagnose fault I quote to complete the repair.

Tony

Silly me thought this forum was for help!and I didn't know that because the quote was free I had to pay it.
And I must have been wrong that the price he quoted £675 was a great price for a 82 year old.
Plumbing is rocket science and my 25 years toolmaking gave me a few skills even though I'm in massive pain with my back and on morphine I still helped out someone in the family for free because of the basic bottom line he could not afford £675 to change a pump and header tank.

If he goes to give 50 free diagnoses every week then he has to actually earn something to live on at some point.

So I can only guess he had not had any quotes accepted lately and was short of money so just upped the figure.

More fool him I would say.

As said, I don't give free diagnosis. But after being paid for my diagnosis I then quote economic prices to complete.

One I did yesterday was to diagnose a failed pump @ £84 and then to supply and fit a Grundfos pump head for £94.

Tony

Even more NEW information to take us from back slapping to heart bleeding.

Sounds like the plumber found some more problems that are to be sorted as part of the job.

I refer the OP to my original post. Your snagging him off for high prices, yet for all you know he was looking at the bigger picture, but no you thought £50 on eBay for an obsolete pump was a bargain.

Blocked tee any one?

I have to correct myself a little - I thought he was sealing the system.... not that it makes a monumental difference the to overall cost.

However.... You're the one asking questions about something you've screwed up and criticising the plumber for being a rip off merchant. When for all you know he has spotted and planned to fix a bigger problem, but sensing you were a time waster, didn't give you the full prognosis.

Hey ho.

Hope you get it sorted.

All the people on here are happy to help, but you have come into a forum which is full of plumbers and basically said that the plumber is ripping you off. And now you want them to help you.........what sort of response was you expecting?

We dont know what area of the UK you are from, but the Plumber could easily be one on here. Think before you type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back