New Ceramic Hobs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I installed a new ceramic hob today, unfortunately the homeowner had bought it on the cheap with no instructions etc. After wiring it in, I turned it on and found that after turning on all the rings, the rings went off after about 5 seconds or so, the people havent moved in yet, so no pans to try it on. Although theres still power going to it (the led stays on).

With the ones Ive previously installed theyve had sensors to detect for pans and if no pans its turned off the rings.

Just wondering if this was the norm for the ceramic hobs now or what.

Sponsored Links
The rings run on thermostats. I doubt after 5 seconds they would be at temperature. Did you leave them on and watch them cycle? Did the "heat" lights come on?

I've never seen a hob with sensors for pans. But i dont install them or anything. Did you sling a pan of water on there to check if this was the case?

they got pretty hot, way too hot to tough anyway. they were glowing red fine, then after turning them off and right back on again they stayed on less time which had me thinking there were too hot without a pan on.

no didnt put any water on it or anything, when the led stayed on through it all, and putting my clamp meter on it and seeing it still pulling current, I got told to move to the next call.

We have a German ceramic hob with 4 rings 1 being halagon.
It has 4 indicating lights which stay on even when the ring is turned off, to show that they are still hot. Obviuosly going off as they cool down.

Also the fan keeps running in the double oven until the doors are cool.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, Seems rather strange, but with the power still getting to the hob (ie, the led staying on throughout). Id say it wasnt a wiring problem and more than likely something with the hob.

Ill have to see if I can pop in tomorrow and get a brand name and look for some online documentation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back