New CH installation noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just had a new gas central heating system installed within the last week. Although the installation is tidy and the radiators and hot water work as they should, we are very dissapointed with the amount of noise that occurs when we turn the thermostat up to make the radiators heat up.

When the boiler first fires up, everything is ok for the first minute or two, but then we here a series of fairly loud clicking, pinging and cracking noises for the next 15 minutes as everything heats up. Everything quietens down again after that, but occurs again 5 -10 minutes after the heating is switched off.

It only seems to come from upstairs, and I do remember the installers saying that the upstairs joists were quite shallow. As a result of this, the heating pipes are only about 1cm below the floor boards, leading me to believe that the noise is in fact the floor boards creaking from the heat of the pipes.

We have been turning the heating on and off 3 times a day for the last few days, hoping that everything will settle down, but there doesn't appear to be any improvement. Just wondered if anybody could advise as to whether or not we are going to have to put up with this, or if it is a legitimate complaint that we should lodge with the installer before making payment.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ask them if they know what hair felt wrap is used for :rolleyes: Like pads to stop that noise from pipe expansion. It`s not rocket science. You only need a Degree to service boilers.

I don't know what hair felt wrap is, but from your reply, it sounds like the installers should have used it to prevent the noise.
Am I right, or is this practice done at their discretion? Would I be correct in withholding payment until they correct the fault?

I don't know what hair felt wrap is, but from your reply, it sounds like the installers should have used it to prevent the noise.
Am I right, or is this practice done at their discretion? Would I be correct in withholding payment until they correct the fault?

we use it to go between wood and pipes to allow for movement without noise.
the installer should be asked to return and sort out the problem.

you can withhold a percentage of the payment until work is completed to your satisfaction. i'd say 15 -20% is reasonable, but give them the opportunity to sort it first.

Sponsored Links
15-20 %......your having a turkish aren't you.......200-400 quid estimated. Rubbish. hold back 100 quid. If of course it is expansion noise.....

Now that I know where I stand, I will contact them and see what they say.

Thanks for your advice.

I wouldn't pay anything untill I was satisfied, after all all good plumbers/heating engineer put felt under the pipes to stop them creaking.

Drilling holes too tight for the tails, and where pipes pass through plasterboard etc is another problem area, as is not putting the plastic spacers on the rad brackets.

Holding back a £100.00 is not going to get them serious about remedial work, a couple of grand will though :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back