New CH System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating an average-sized 1950s semi and having a kitchen extension that will contain a wall-mounted combi boiler to serve 10 radiators & 1 bathroom (bath & shower).

I'm planning to use 22mm pipe for the H&C supplies to the bathroom, and bath taps, but 15mm pipes to the toilet cistern, sink taps and shower mixer.

For the heating circuit I am also intending to use 22mm pipe. Most of the individual radiators will be connected to short branches (the longest is 3m) from the main send & return pipes, and I was going to run those branches with 15mm pipe.

Should this be OK? Also, the heating pipes will need to run from the rear of the house to the front, under the landing floor, and I will have to either drill or notch the floor joists. There are already notches for the old 15mm pipework, and I'm intending to make them a little bigger, but I'm a bit worried that I may be weakening the joists. I was going to put double pipe clips in each notch, screwed to the joist, to hold the two pipes side by side. Is that OK, or do they need additional support? I might use the equivalent flexible plastic pipe (at least where the pipework is out of sight), but that is thicker, and would need the notches to be bigger still. Am I worrying unduly, or should I strengthen the notched joists?

For the avoidance of doubt, I have NO intention of touching the boiler installation or commissioning: I'm just going to put in most of the pipework and hang the radiator panels and fit the valves.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/literature/pdfs/Installation-Tips/Pipework-in-suspended-flooring.pdf for details of how to run pipework in floors.

Use 15mm for the hot and cold on a combi using 22mm will lead to longer waits for hot water at the outlets.

The joists are 6"x2", and notches to take 22mm pipe will have to be around 25mm deep, which is a 1/6h of the depth of the joist, while the guidance suggests that 1/8th is the safe max. These joists only span the landing, not a whole room, so I'm guessing that the remaining 5" will be fine to support the load on the landing floor. Does anyone have a contrary view?

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't clip them to the joists unless you want loads of noise when the heating comes on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back