New Column radiators not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ive never posted on a forum before, so please forgive any errors on my behalf, I have recently had 4 radiators replaced for new column radiators, fitted by a local plumber, the old ones heated up fine, to such an extent that you could not really touch them, however the new radiators barely warm up, none of them get what I would label as hot, the plumber noted that the radiators all needed balancing, but even after that being completed they still only get warm, the plumber tells me that's as good as it gets, but I cant understand that, as they heated up perfectly well before, the pump is on the highest setting and is working, so i'm now wishing I had left the very old ones in place, we rushed to get the radiators changed as we were having new carpets fitted which has now been done.
I've bleed the radiators.Has anyone come across this before?, do I need to get a new stronger Pump?

Sponsored Links
Did the rads come with instructions ? if they had instructions did the plumber read them ?

Do the radiators that you haven't replaced still get as hot? If your not getting anywhere with the "plumber" you might want to try and do a little investigating. Try turn off all radiators apart from 1 and then see if that gets as hot as you are used to. Then open another radiator valve and see if that gets hot and that the previous one remains hot and keep going until you struggle to maintain the temp. It could be its not balanced at all, blockage, flow issues etc..

Also I notice the column radiator I have in my kitchen doesn't get very hot to the touch compared to traditional style radiators, so perhaps there are just some that don't feel as hot to touch.

Sponsored Links
Some makes of Column Rads have a baffle fitted and MUST be fitted the correct way around, normal radiators you can have the flow and return going in either end but not with column rads, look at the installation instructions it sounds like the flow is on the wrong end, os as Picasso says the rads may even be upside down its easy done if you dont know about the baffle

Wow I cant believe how quick you've all come back to help me out, thank you.
I will turn all the other Rad's off this evening and see how I get on with that first, I will post again and give you all an update, I've been reading other threads who have stated the size of the pipe is a key? I'm hoping that's not my problem, once again thanks for the quick replies.
thank you

more likely to be wrong orientation of the flow and return, a very common mistake , if closing all the other radiators does not make any difference that is your problem

Hi Good morning following on from yesterday, I turned off the other radiators and the new ones upstairs did get very hot, I then turned on the new radiator down stairs which is by far the largest new column radiator and I noticed the flow is the wrong way around, the manufacturer told me that the baffle should be the opposite end to the flow, instead the plumber has fitted the radiator with the flow on the baffle/block end as the manufacturers refer to it as, I am hoping it should solve my problem if I drain the radiator and turn it around?

On the contrary Picasso I think you have ben spot on, Im so grateful, having a plumber that tells you that's the way it is and you have no option leaves a novice like me with no option, but having had the discussions have really helped me to understand it all, thanks

I had the plumber back on Friday who was, its fair to say a tad bemused, he had no idea that the radiators had baffles on them or that the Victorian TRV's were not by directional as he had assumed, so after swapping two sets of valves and turning the radiator around, we have HOT radiators, thanks to all of you for you help.
Regards Karl

There have been several posts about column rads lately and it is disappointing how many fit them without reading the instructions ( which are not always very clear ).

Generally the idea is that the flow goes in on one side and a baffle/plug blocks any further direct flow into the rad so that all the flow goes up that first tube. The flow then comes down all the other tubes in parallel.

Some rads have fixed baffles whereas others, better ones, have plugs which the installer fits himself and so can define which side is the flow and the return.

It has been my experience that column rads don't always seem to give the same enjoyment of the heat compared with standard rads. I assume that is because they convect the heat higher up. I therefore suggest that they are slightly oversized compared with the calculated heat output required for the room.

Tony

And yet again Tony Pipes up after proper engineers and plumbers give the correct advice , and sort the OPs problem, then somehow thinks he is some kind of expert on Column rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back