New combi boiler - advised I need to change my shower cartri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a new Combi Boiler fitted under a government scheme, but the installer has advised me I need to change the shower cartridge otherwise my shower wont work (to change cartridge from a gravity fed tank to mains water).

My shower is a Mira 88, is it simply a matter of swapping the cartridge over and could you advise what the difference would be between the two cartridges (the installer did say it may work but probably wouldn't work properly - and they offer no help with this).

I will probably renovate the entire bathroom in the next year so only wanted something to tide me over until then (if possible).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I agree with pwb,the only valve I know are older aqualisa models that require a different cartridge for different pressures.
When you change the room make sure you fit a thermostatic model as this will regulate the fluctuations in temp will get. Also depending on conditions you should get a low pressure model as this will make the most of the pressure you have, most modern valves work on high pressure and you maybe disappointed after your Mira 88.

No need to get a low pressure model. Mains supplies from a combi would be regarded as high pressure, and most thermostatic mixers should give a good shower on a combi, even 24Kw. Presumably, if there were problems with incomming main flow and pressure, a combi wouldn't have been specified. But you always don't never know!

Sponsored Links
I would be very surprised if all of those involved in these budget installs always checked the dynamic flow rate.

Some of them probably don't even know what it means!

Tony

Thanks for the advice - so seems like I wont have any issues.
The cold water pressure is very good - the Combi should be 30KW or higher so I assume that means I wont have any complications with pressure / flow rates?

Regarding the temperature advice - if I only use the shower and nothing else I assume this wont be a problem - the boiler installers don't seem to want to give much help about the shower, but since I plan on changing everything in the near future as long as it works for 6 months or so I don't have any issues.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. As you have said, with combi fed showers, it's best if others in the house don't start using hot water taps, etc whilst showering.

I don't think you will be disappointed by a shower from a 30kw boiler. Best to try it after boiler installation and see how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back