New Combi Boiler for small flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a small flat with about 4 radiators and I am due to have a new combi boiler installed. I have had a Vokera 10 years ago which I was happy with and a Bosch Worcester which we had a few problems with lockouts on but was mostly ok.

Other than those (and the huge Powermaster I have now in another flat) I have no experience of combis.

I think I have the choice of a Saunier Duval (Semia?), a Halstead something and a Vokera. Because I have had a Vokera and it worked fine before I am veering to that but what does everyone think?

Is there anything that people wouldn't touch with a barge pole or is there just nothing on the list that people would accept.

Any help would be appreciated. I know I haven't given too much information on the boilers but they will probably be the least powerful ones around.

Joanne

Sponsored Links
we fit a lot of vokera boilers because we havn't had any problems with them and parts are reasonably priced, customer service isnt bad either.

I would never recommend a Sonya Duval to anyone.

As far as Vokera are concerned I have nothing against the boilers but I did object to having to move my car just to let their Owner park his Rolls!

You can have whatever boiler you want. Have you considered the slightly more expensive Vailliants, Worcesters and Glow Worms?

Tony

Vailliants are very good boilers, probably better than vokera in my opinion but vokera are still a very good boiler.

we tend to still to fitting just vokera so we can stock quite a few parts for breakdowns. :)

good luck choosing

Sponsored Links
I don't remember Vaillants being an option for us. Are they much more than a Vokera?

I don't mind paying the extra but I don't know if we're talking about £100-200 difference or more. I also don't know if our engineer knows them.

I think the chap who is fitting it (Corgi btw) said he was having problems with Vokera of late and having to go back to them to fix them (which he obviously doesn't want to have to do if possible). But then I have never heard of Halstead or Saunier. Or rather, I have read a few posts here and not read anything good about Sauniers!!

The history of reliabllity-forecasting isn't all that good for boilers. I remember being told 8(?) years or so ago that Vaillants were marvellous, so I fitted quite a lot of them. Every single one has gone wrong, most of them once within the guarantee period and about once since.
None of the Pottertons has gone wrong once that I can remember.

One repair is likely to wipe out the cost difference between different models of the same spec.

It's a bit of a lottery, but some makes do offer long guarantees. Some Baxi and Ariston up to 5 years, and there may be others. You have to have a service every year to keep it going, and lets face it most people don't bother, but it's nice to know some manufacturers have faith in their product.

i fit a lot of baxi. any problems ive had have been cheap and easy to sort.very easy to work on.

raden said:
One day, I'll have a house in the country with a wood fire

Before you get absorbed in the property press then how about an opinion on any of the boilers mentioned above. It may help to reduce your blood pressure as part of a carefully controlled diet.

I'm not a CORGI fitter

I am not best placed to tell you what you should go for

raden said:
I'm not a CORGI fitter

I am not best placed to tell you what you should go for

So...

You just spammed me instead then. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll stick with the Vokera unless my chap does Vaillants.

Joanne ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back