New Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A local plumber has just installed a new combi boiler, new pipework and radiators for me. He didn't provide us with a thermostat, he just showed us how to turn the boiler on and off.

Although he didn't specifically state that he would supply a thermostat in his quote (in fact his quote was just one sentence), should I assume there would be one included in this job that cost me £4700 + vat?

He took all the paperwork and instructions until I pay, but I want a thermostat.

We'll come to some agreement in the end but what other documentation should I have please, a Gas Safe certificate or something I guess?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
regardless of where you are he will have to register the boiler with the manufacturer so you get the warranty and he will have to register the install to building regs who will send you a certificate to confirm it has been registered, some manus do this on behalf of the installer which boiler did he fit ?

Sponsored Links
Then the installation must be registered with Vaillant within 30 days of installation, they will send you written conformation that it has been registered, it must also be registered with Gas safe and building control will also send you written confirmation that it has been registered, but if you are in England or Wales you have to comply with boiler plus so you need additional controls

As it's a new boiler I assume it would be a radio control roomstat, so no wiring involved. Just a question of providing it, and perhaps setting up so the stat and boiler communicate.

Perhaps he took the remote stat with him, along with all the paperwork.

As above, time & temperature control is a requirement of Building Regulations. As it's a combi, it also needs to comply with Boiler Plus regulations. Regardless of whether it was specifically listed on the quotation or not, he is required to carry out an installation which complies with the regs. He's also not allowed to take your paperwork away.

He told me to buy one and showed me a picture of one on his phone.

He told me to buy one and showed me a picture of one on his phone.
Don't fall for that. Tell him it's his responsibility to supply & fit as part of the job. Threaten to call Gas Safe out to inspect the installation of he gets awkward (and if he continues to be awkward, actually call them out and they should force him to put it right)

Don't fall for that. Tell him it's his responsibility to supply & fit as part of the job. Threaten to call Gas Safe out to inspect the installation of he gets awkward (and if he continues to be awkward, actually call them out and they should force him to put it right)

It all sounds a bit suspicious - OP, are you sure he was Gas Safe registered, as he is legally required to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back