New computer currys

Buy the best spec' machine you can reasonably afford.
A quicker more capable m/c provides a far better experience in usage.

-0-

Sponsored Links

-0-

I would go with that advice.
Programs are becoming bigger, take security suites they use far more of your computers capability to run than they used to they are not likely to get smaller! Most makers of new software assume you will be using a fairly new computer and to get the best effect the design them to use the memory / Ram available.

A more powerful computer while it may be over spec today will have a longer useful life and be more likely to cope with something you later find you want to use.

Size matters ;)

Rubbish.

CPU power has become so powerfull and cheap, even 10 year old processors can run Windows 7 and do normal use without lag (browsing, word doc's, what most people do). And before you say 'wrong' I am running 2 computers with 10 year old hardware for just that purpose (one Pentium D for my dad's computer, and one celoron duel core laptop as a media player and I-player (does play flash HD).

Even sub £200 computers come with 4gb of memory which is more than enough for any everyday user or even most high end games (which are designed with consoles with less memory that that, and will be for the next 5+ years).

Most programmes that average people use are now being written to work with less memory and processing power (due to mobile devices), not more.

And even if you are right, *which you are not*, buy another computer in 5 years for £150 pounds, and you will have even more unecessary power and would still have spent less money than buying something fancy.

If all you do is browse the net and do word documents, don't spend more than £200, absolute waste of money, stop giving bad advice because you have tech wonderlust.

If you are doing anything with high end games or complicated 3D cad models we are talking another ball game altogether, but that is not what most people do.

Sponsored Links

-0-

I would go with that advice.
Programs are becoming bigger, take security suites they use far more of your computers capability to run than they used to they are not likely to get smaller! Most makers of new software assume you will be using a fairly new computer and to get the best effect the design them to use the memory / Ram available.

A more powerful computer while it may be over spec today will have a longer useful life and be more likely to cope with something you later find you want to use.

Size matters ;)

You do not need to add anything... I have been there ! And I know where my overall experience feels best, cannot imagine why anyone would not backup their system in 7 mins rather than 60 mins.
Everything else seems to happen in the same sort of relationship.
In all things of interest - buy the best you can reasonably afford.
It makes complete sense.
-0-

Just as an aside, is it possible to buy computers (or rather laptops) with Windows 7 pre-installed?

Not likely new from any retailer, as microsoft will only licence them with windows 8.

Online shops though no problem, just look carefully at the specs to make sure you are not buying old stock at new prices.

Thanks, so:

wait and see if Windows 10 is an improvement; or

investigate Linux.

If you get a machine with a Win 8 Pro license, you are allowed to downgrade to Win 7.

If you get a machine with a Win 8 Pro license, you are allowed to downgrade to Win 7.

I thought there is no way that Microsoft will supply Windows 7 these days. So, does that mean that if I buy a new computer, bearing in mind that they all come with Windows 8 now, I'll be allowed to downgrade to Windows 7 or, alternatively, can vendors sell new computers running Windows 7.

I've been thinking about a new computer, but I certainly don't want Windows 8 and it may be that 10 isn't much better.

So, does that mean that if I buy a new computer, bearing in mind that they all come with Windows 8 now, I'll be allowed to downgrade to Windows 7

Only if it comes with Win 8 Pro.

FFS get hold of yourself !! Got Win 8 ? Fire this onto the system
http://www.classicshell.net/
Now relax, with win7 experience using win8 - win8 running parallel - In a hurry? Use the Win7 experience - Time to stop and THINK ? Pull up the charms /Win8 interface - explore.
The OS is ok in terms of 'falling over' - It doesn't - Maybe that depends upon the power of one's system and user's patience (erratic, impatient button pressing etc)
You will not go to Linux because you obviously do not want to have to learn a new approach - f'k your luck, welcome to the new everchanging world, like it or not - There is no option for those of us who want in.

-0-

FFS get hold of yourself !! Got Win 8 ? Fire this onto the system
http://www.classicshell.net/
Now relax, with win7 experience using win8 - win8 running parallel - In a hurry? Use the Win7 experience - Time to stop and THINK ? Pull up the charms /Win8 interface - explore.
The OS is ok in terms of 'falling over' - It doesn't - Maybe that depends upon the power of one's system and user's patience (erratic, impatient button pressing etc)
You will not go to Linux because you obviously do not want to have to learn a new approach - f'k your luck, welcome to the new everchanging world, like it or not - There is no option for those of us who want in.

-0-

Well, having now got a hold of myself (!), I'd like to thank you for this.

At the moment, my Windows 7 machine is working perfectly although I accept that nothing lasts for ever. If and when it turns its toes up, I suppose I'll have to buy a W8 (or W10) machine.

This software does look good and, if the need arises, I'd have no hesitation in downloading it.

However, the fact that a third party has had to go to the trouble of creating software to make Windows 8 look the way that many people want it to, says a lot for Microsoft's market research prior to developing W8!

Sponsored Links
Back