New computer currys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to currys to purchase a computer and wanted to know if anyone would be good enough to offer any advice on a recommendation or maybe ones to avoid
I will be looking for something to surf the net and carry out some limited office work e.g. Quote prints etc
My grandsons are advising me to get something's to play mine craft on, he is 7 and I am not sure what mine craft is or needs to work but I would like something that will be of some use in the games area for his visits
I have had a look at a small currys store in Tamworth and I am surprised at the amount of memory available for the budget computers especially when compared to my dell 530 from 2008 which the new one will replace
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Any computer you buy in somewhere like currys or PC world including the lowest price budget computer (which for them will be shy of £200), will have more than enough power to do your stuff with no slowdown.

Minecraft in particular is a CPU intensive game, not GPU (graphics), so again any computer will do.

For any proper games then you need to be looking at £400 computers and above.

If he is 7 then I would personally go with the cheapest desktop PC for work use, and a tablet for him to use when he is round or for you to use on the sofa, the Tesco Hudl2 is good for about £130 IIRC.

That or give him box, or a stick, or whatever else my parents would have been given as kids.

Cheers for the pointers lads
Funnily enough he received a hull for Xmas and so that will take care of that aspect,astonishing what children receive or how much is spent on them
I will be looking at acer of levano then

Sponsored Links
For browsing the net and doing basic office work it's like buying a Ferrari and only ever driving 10mph.

Showed it to my son when he came to collect the grandchildren
He said this is a waste of money but by this point I realised I had been blinded by the numbers
Cheers again aaron

Minecraft does require quite a good graphics card, boy I have cannot play it on a his pc as it does not meet the spec.

Minecraft does require quite a good graphics card, boy I have cannot play it on a his pc as it does not meet the spec.

No, it doesn't. It requires virtually nothing, graphics wise. Literally any non-broken (ancient Intel need not apply) device from the 21st century.

No, it doesn't. It requires virtually nothing, graphics wise. Literally any non-broken (ancient Intel need not apply) device from the 21st century.
Minimum Requirements:

CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2GB
GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1
HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files
Java 6 Release 45

Minimum Requirements:

GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
Java 6 Release 45

Those requirements are disjointed and illogical. And are still only asking for 2006 era hardware.

'quite a good graphics card' would describe the several year old mid-high range card I have (a 660 Ti), not onboard GPUs supporting a standard from 2006, which I am hesitant to believe is actually required.

The game will run on intergrated graphics cards on laptops, I can tell you it does not need a 9600GT (which itself is 5 or so years old).

It is CPU not GPU heavy.

The graphics card does matter when you start using high details, shaders and installing high texture mods.

Monkeh";p="3285163 said:

Minimum Requirements:

Java 6 Release 45

Those requirements are disjointed and illogical. And are still only asking for 2006 era hardware.
Maybe, but my boys graphic card failed the test and pc is less than 6 years old.

Maybe, but my boys graphic card failed the test and pc is less than 6 years old.

I can tell you I have run it on integrated graphics, so your boy is wrong (probably tried to set it to max as boys do then said it dont work).

Unless you have a really bad graphics card.

Did Currys try the hard sell on the extended warranty? If so, please tell me you haven't paid extra for a worthless piece of paper. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back