New condensing Glow-worm HX24 Boiler - temperature query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had a new Glow-worm Flexicom HX24 Condensing Boiler installed. The installer has set the temperature to the maximum 82 degrees and told me this is the most efficient setting as the house is well insulated with room thermostat and TRVs.

Is this necessarily correct? I seem to be reading that the lower the boiler temperature the more the boiler will condense thereby saving gas. On the other hand, I understand that the quicker the house warms up the sooner the boiler will turn off.

Can anyone of you knowledgeable folk advise which is the best way to run the boiler.

Many thanks
foreversummer

Sponsored Links
Your installer clearly did not have a clue; the lower the setting, the more efficient the boiler works.

my boilers set on the economy setting been like it for 3 yrs never needed it any higher, your house must be like an oven lol

talking rubbish. set it about 65. that will keep the return around 50 on most systems, thus keeping it condensing longer. Make sure, however, that its at least 5c higher than the temp set on your cyl stat.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is pretty hot in here despite turning the TRVs and room thermostat down!

I do seem to have a continuous plume from the flue though, so this confused me into thinking that the boiler must be condensing most of the time. Am I right in thinking that there is a plume only when the boiler is in condensing mode?

Alot of confusing info on this subject it seems. The energysavingtrust site seems to suggest that boilers should be set to the highest water temperature as long as you are well insulated and have controls. Maybe this applies to conventional boilers rather than condensing?

Foreversummer

the plume tells you its working, thats about it. that other info is wrong.

Yes, it is pretty hot in here despite turning the TRVs and room thermostat down!

Fairly irrelevant, if it's too hot, turn roomstat and trv's down further.

I do seem to have a continuous plume from the flue though, so this confused me into thinking that the boiler must be condensing most of the time. Am I right in thinking that there is a plume only when the boiler is in condensing mode?

Proves nothing.

Alot of confusing info on this subject it seems. The energysavingtrust site seems to suggest that boilers should be set to the highest water temperature as long as you are well insulated and have controls. Maybe this applies to conventional boilers rather than condensing?

Energy saving trust people are not heating engineers, they know nothing about the subject.

So what uses less gas a boiler that is working at say 84% efficient an heats the house in 15 mins or a boiler in full condense mode at say 91% efficient but takes 25 mins to heat it.
Dont always confuse efficiency with using less gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back