New consumer board for shower ?? (pic)

Sponsored Links
You may not. It depends how the busbar in the consumer unit has been cut to separate the non RCD circuits from the RCD circuits but you have spare ways so a new busbar would be all you would need to re-arrange the consumer unit.

None of your circuits are labelled, just for peace of mind I would get them labelled up

Hi,
just looking into having an electric shower, and wondered if i am going to need a new consumer board ? i know nothing regarding this so please be gentle ;)

thanks in advance

View media item 44472
View media item 44473

What's the amps on the rcd switch far left?

It's says something A but I can't read it.

It's prob easier to put some henleys in and a separate mini CU just for the shower.

Sponsored Links
I don't think they ever did RCBOs for those boards, so if you can obtain an MCB fot that board it MAY be possible to have it on the RCD side of that board. However, most showers need a 40 or 45 amp protective device, so I doubt if you'll ever get one.

As said, the best option may be to fit a separate one way board from the tails, comprising of RCD main switch and MCB. This is a job for an electrician.

Or you could replace the consumer unit with RCDs that will protect all necessary circuits to 17th edition. This is a job for an electrician.

40A MCBs are still available for that unit, if you want to pay the silly high price for them, and want to be limited to a 9.5kW shower.

The sensible option is to fit a second CU for the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back