New Consumer Unit and Signing Off

£250 to install, test and register.
Somebody else's work - you got a bargain.

E.g. Property empty - no carpets or furnishing - no other trades to work around. Straight forward rewire of 2 bed bungalow. This took two electricians 2 days and for labour only, I was charged £800. I was happy, £200 per person per day.
Why didn't they fit the CU test and register then?

Sponsored Links
I am not unhappy about the price of the work - it's a little more than what I had hoped but I don't consider it unreasonable. It's just that we was negotiating price and he threw this comment in which started me worrying about the possibility he might not be qualified.

I don't know his company name yet - and there doesn't seem to be an option of searching under name. I guess when he comes tomorrow I can ask to see his NICEIC card.

Did you not get a written quote on headed paper?

Quotes will vary from region to region, and from installation to installation and unit price.
So would be difficult to access whether the quote given is reasonable, without better informed information.

Just completed a swap out performed:
An electrical installation condition report on 8 circuits, was happy with results, no upgrading of earth conductor or earth bonding required. Installed a dual RCD 10 way (BG) CU, a little alteration required regarding positioning and cable lengths. Notification fees and certs
£425.00 which everyone seemed happy with.

£250 to install, test and register.
Somebody else's work - you got a bargain.

E.g. Property empty - no carpets or furnishing - no other trades to work around. Straight forward rewire of 2 bed bungalow. This took two electricians 2 days and for labour only, I was charged £800. I was happy, £200 per person per day.

No, You have got it wrong.

This is a separate job.

As I will be using repeat trades, I gave an example of what I paid in a previous job. I was hoping, based on the amount of time for this job, and it is labour only - that a cost of £200-£250 would be reasonable.

]E.g. Property empty - no carpets or furnishing - no other trades to work around. Straight forward rewire of 2 bed bungalow. This took two electricians 2 days and for labour only, I was charged £800. I was happy, £200 per person per day.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that this this was just an example from the past, not a reference to the same property.

Kind REgards, John

Sponsored Links
£250 to install, test and register. He did want £350.
Seem fair to me, but I would perform an EICR prior to swap
I've started using professional trades for regular repeat business and I've been told by other professionals that I should be paying regular day rates (professional rates) because of this.
What about material costs?
Seems cheap to me, if materials included?
I was hoping this electrician who has been recommended would charge me £200 as it's less than a days work (but round it up) and it is one person. I am ok with £250, but it was the fact he was after £350. Not good when I would hopefully want him as a repeat trader.
£350 for CU swap should be biting hand off, if a trusted tradesman, works both ways you know!

]E.g. Property empty - no carpets or furnishing - no other trades to work around. Straight forward rewire of 2 bed bungalow. This took two electricians 2 days and for labour only, I was charged £800. I was happy, £200 per person per day.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that this this was just an example from the past, not a reference to the same property.
Quite possible but the question still stands - easy simple way to compare the quotation made.

I'm getting confused.

£350 was stated and you got that down to £250 with which you are happy.

Why did you post the question?

If it had been £100 to certify would you have felt guilty?

Just completed a swap out performed:
An electrical installation condition report on 8 circuits, was happy with results, no upgrading of earth conductor or earth bonding required. Installed a dual RCD 10 way (BG) CU, a little alteration required regarding positioning and cable lengths. Notification fees and certs
£425.00 which everyone seemed happy with.

Each area has it own price range but I wouldn't have got away with that price around here - maybe £300 but that would have included RCBO's for each circuit.

Quite possible ...
More than possible - the OP has confirmed.
...but the question still stands - easy simple way to compare the quotation made.
I'm not sure I understand. Is your question about why the people who did the previous bungalow job wern't asked to do the current CU change, or what?

Kind Regards, John

I'm getting confused.

£350 was stated and you got that down to £250 with which you are happy.

Why did you post the question?

If it had been £100 to certify would you have felt guilty?

Yes, I would have.

I supply all materials including consumer unit.

I posted because I was concerned the person might not be legit.

Yes, I would have.
That's good to hear.

Ok. Perhaps he upped the price (albeit with a lie) because it is rubbish and he suspected some recalls.
Although your supplied goods are not really his responsibility.

Fair enough.

Perhaps you would inform us if it transpires that he is (or not).

Each area has it own price range but I wouldn't have got away with that price around here - maybe £300 but that would have included RCBO's for each circuit.

Can't see how you can operate at that price,?
If populating with RCBOs, 8 RCBOs (depending on brand) but take BG for instance would cost around 20GPB each. So you also have additional cost of empty board, swap out and any tests prior or post you carry out, plus fees, docs and sundries. You need to get there and back and appropriate tools to perform the task, then there is the Insurance and registration and the additional time testing and documenting 8 RCBOs.
Were do you live Hull?

Yes, I would have.
That's good to hear.

Ok. Perhaps he upped the price (albeit with a lie) because it is rubbish and he suspected some recalls.
Although your supplied goods are not really his responsibility.

Fair enough.

Perhaps you would inform us if it transpires that he is (or not).

Yes, I will let you know once he's been in. I'll ask all relevant questions before he starts. If it transpires someone else will be signing off his work - I won't go with him. He did specifically tell me his is NICEIC.

Hi

The electrician has been in. All is fine and I was very pleased with his work and will use him again.

Basically the electrician works for a firm and has done for about 10 years. He does some private jobs, but he pays his boss to come in and sign off his work.

He explained it was NAPIT, not NICEIC. His boss came round whilst I was there and he thoroughly inspected his work (he was there for a good 90mins). He took lots of readings and recorded them, he checked the wiring in sockets and he also checked all the earth bonds. He was doing all sorts of checks and asking questions. I've been given a 5 page report detailing everything. The electrics are satisfactory and I feel confident and happy about everything.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back