New consumer unit.....no certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Wondering if anyone can advise:

For personal circumstances, I had to move out of my house, which I intend to rent out shortly...upon the initial inspection by the estate agency..he advised me that i would need the consumer unit upgrading..it was the old type with wire in the fuses.

I had a leaflet put through the door advertising electrical services, I arranged for them to install a new consumer unit and a neighbour let them in..the unit was installed with no problems..all looks well, except that they left no documentation to say that it was fitted by a qualified sparky, and I am now unable to contact them...

What do i need to do now...to comply with part p etc..

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Rick.

Sponsored Links
Your `estate agent` recommended a change of consumer unit?
Sounds strange ....but even more strange that you then get a leaflet through the door advertising electrical work.... hmmmm.

Anyway.... does the leaflet say the electrician was registered with any body? I.E NICEIC etc.... does it have any reference to part P?
If so contact the body the spark is registered to and track him/her through them.

Hi.

Yeah sorry...didn't explain too well....The estate agent suggested that it should be replaced...and I could see his point

The leaflet was in the local free paper that we all get stuffed through the letter box, it says that he is NICEIC registered, thank's I'll try that route.

However....If he was a fly by night...and I am unable to get hold of him...what do I do??

Rick.

Sponsored Links
Have you paid up yet? If he is NICEIC approved you should be able to check via the NICEIC website

as others have said if you haven't already paid them do not do so.

then i would contact both building control and trading standards.

If you have the company name of the electricians then look them up on here

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

If they do not appear here then they are not registered.

If they are purporting to be NICEIC when they're not they are committing a fraud. NICEIC take a dim view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back