New consumer unit questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I'm am trying to get an electrician to replace my fusebox. I am advised that I need new tails from the meter to the fusebox. Seems straightforward - get an electrician to sort it all out. However, I have several questions:

1. The meter and the main fuse belonging to the elec supplier are sealed. How is this situation normally dealt with? Does the electrician simply break the seals and do the job, with the supplier coming along later to remake the seals? The chances of getting British Gas coordinated with the arrival of an electrician seem remote! As I am paying a lot for this, I want to ensure that the job is done proper, and I don't get into trouble with the supplier for busting their precious seals.

2. If the new fusebox is 17th edition with breakers etc, do I still need to have supplementary bonding in the bathroom, kitchen etc? I DO have adequate main bonding on the gas and water incoming.

3. I have an electrician who says that I need to take out RCD sockets in my garage, as these will interfere with the function of the breakers in the new fusebox. Is this really correct?

4. With testing etc, how long should a job like this take?

I'm really confused and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Answer 1) Legally an electrician is not permitted to break these seals and your Local Electric Board should be informed, but some electrician are allowed as they have been given prior permission to do this.

Answer 2) There are certain requirements which mean supp bonding may not be needed your Electrician will know this.

Answer 3) If your garage circuits are rcd protected at the board no need for them at sockets.

Answer 4) Depends how big the job is, how many circuits, accessories etc...
and if any problems that may have been unnoticed prior to new CU installation are flagged up!

What you could do, is get British Gas to fit an isolator for you, at that point they will put new (correct sized) tails between the meter and the isolator, and then your electrician can simply put new tails in to the top of the isolator - no need to coordinate BG and the electrician etc, just get the electrician in once BG have been.

I'm with BG and had one fitted, cost me about 30 quid - it did take a while to get it arranged (had to convince them it was something they could do, but eventually they put me through to the right department, who sent someone from Siemens out within about a week or so)...

Help! I'm am trying to get an electrician to replace my fusebox. I am advised that I need new tails from the meter to the fusebox. Seems straightforward - get an electrician to sort it all out. However, I have several questions:

1. The meter and the main fuse belonging to the elec supplier are sealed. How is this situation normally dealt with? Does the electrician simply break the seals and do the job, with the supplier coming along later to remake the seals? The chances of getting British Gas coordinated with the arrival of an electrician seem remote! As I am paying a lot for this, I want to ensure that the job is done proper, and I don't get into trouble with the supplier for busting their precious seals.
Theory the electrician or supply authority should provide an isolator to which the supply authority will move their supply to and then when the electrician renews the consumer unit he can access this without touching seals. In practice the electrician often breaks the seals and just gets on with the work. Sometimes they will request the isolator and when the supply authority don't turn up break the seals. But strictly speaking except for an emergency i.e. fire the electrician should not touch the seals. Most electricians know the attitude of local supply company and know what they will unofficially allow.
2. If the new fusebox is 17th edition with breakers etc, do I still need to have supplementary bonding in the bathroom, kitchen etc? I DO have adequate main bonding on the gas and water incoming.
No the requirements have been dropped.
3. I have an electrician who says that I need to take out RCD sockets in my garage, as these will interfere with the function of the breakers in the new fusebox. Is this really correct?
I have found pressing the test button on 10ma sockets has tripped the 100ma in main board but as long as you don't use test button there should be no problem in having two RCD's even if same rating in fact this is a requirement with caravans where both the parks supply and the caravan both require 30ma RCD's fitting. They will however serve no useful purpose.
4. With testing etc, how long should a job like this take?

I'm really confused and would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Most electricians will allow the full day. It is really length of piece of string job as all sorts of faults can become evident once the board is changed.
Most sparks with test first to catch any faults before they start so you are aware. But still faults slip the net and fault finding can be time consuming.

Some sparks will quote a fixed fee and take rough with smooth others will charge on time taken and you take chance not him.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you all for your very helpful replies. I'm feeling a lot better about it all now. Here's the rather funny developments from today:

Yesterday, in desperation, I booked BG to come and fit the new meter tails themselves. They said the earliest they could do it is 1 weeks time. I booked that. After a bit of reading around, I realised the isolator was the best solution. Called BG today to get the job amended to include an isolator. While on the phone, the guy at BG told me the job was booked for today! (despite them previously telling me they needed one weeks notice).

While I argued the point - knock at door. BG man says he's come to "de-energise" the system. Looks at meter and fusebox and declares I need a new meter! I enquired whether he by any chance had an isolator in the van and he did! Hung up the phone. Nice BG meter fitter fits new meter and isolator in about 20 minutes. Now all I have to do is get the electrician to flip the isolator and do his job safely and without cutting seals. Amazing. Only trouble is, the fitter did remark that he'd probably be called out for the scheduled job next week......

So, by some miraculous accident, BG provided an outstanding sub-24 hour service.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Bananaman

I wish I had a phone number like that for my local DNO.

A knock at the door whilst youre still on the phone to them, I'm impressed :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back