New controller not controlling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'm a reasonably comptetent DIY person and am happy with electrical circuitry, but this has me stumped.
Our Horstman Channel Plus H37XL battery failed (damn them as it cannot be replaced). This was wired using just the power in and channel wires without the commons (taken care of in the wiring hub). As the system was down I decided to move the zone 2 thermostat to a better location to the other side of a partition. Being 3 wires this was simple enough.
I then changed to a Timeguard TRT038N 3 channel controller. I carefully transposed the channel wires and reconnected the supply to this controller and I have the following:
Relays work on the controller and the steady power light is on the boiler. No power to any of the 3 thermostats/ motorised valves/ pump doesn't run.

I checked with Timeguard technical assistance and they recommended connecting the commons up on the controller, which I did- no difference at all...

What else can I check, and what is the initiation sequence? I surmise it's controller turns on circuit/ thermostat calls for heat/ motorised valve operates/ sends signal to when open to start pump/ boiler operates on flow switch and fires.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I checked with Timeguard technical assistance and they recommended connecting the commons up on the controller, which I did- no difference at all...
Can you show wiring of this? It seems that timeguard were correct, as the Horstmann has commons fed from internal links.

Attachments

• 2CA51133-5483-4BE5-944B-687BC9464F42.jpeg
    2CA51133-5483-4BE5-944B-687BC9464F42.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 23
  • 20670331-F952-4566-9532-F50AE5AB9C8C.jpeg
    20670331-F952-4566-9532-F50AE5AB9C8C.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 22

@CBW is correct regarding the links on the Horstmann being internal as you can see below.. However, you don't mention connecting the commons to anything except to each other. The commons will need to be connected to something in order to function. With the Horstmann you can see they they are connected internally to the live as well. When the switches move to the 'on' position the wire connected to the 'on' terminals also becomes live and operates the appropriate motorised valve.
2CA51133-5483-4BE5-944B-687BC9464F42.jpeg

Without anything connected to the other side of the switch, (ie the COM) there won't erm.......be anything to actually switch.

So to replicate the same thing with the Timeguard the links will need to be made externally.

222.jpg

EDIT:
Don't worry that there are 3 Common Connections on the Horstmann and only 2 on the Timeguard. The switches connected to Timeguard P1 and P3 share Common P2.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks everybody for your replies!
Yes, I rechecked and had connected the commons to the live as STEM showed and with no change. I'm considering buying a cheap 2 zone controller to check if anything is going, or maybe bridging zone 1 to live with a wire link in the controller base just to see if there is anything?

Sponsored Links
Well I did bridge the live to zone 1 and everything fired up! Looks like a brand new controller isn't functioning and will have to be returned....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back