New cooker 32A rated and red spot 30A cartridge fuse wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - We are having a new cooker fitted that has a rating of 32A.

The fuse box installed when the house was built in 1979 has fuse wired

cartridges. The old cooker fuse has a red spot fuse wire cartridge.

Do you think I would need a complete re-wire to install this cooker,would a different fuse wire do or would it be best to go for a lower rated cooker ?

Any help appreciated !

Sponsored Links
Your 30amp existing cooker circuit will be fine.

During overload conditions a 30amp rewireable or cartridge fuse will stay working for longer than a 32A BS60898 cntact breaker.

thanks for that - so really it wouldn't even be worth changing the wired fuse

for a 32A Breaker type ?

Just an extra - If the cooker is rated at 32A would that mean it would actually draw 32A at some time ?

Sponsored Links
thanks for that - so really it wouldn't even be worth changing the wired fuse

for a 32A Breaker type ?
This is worth while, for nuisance, so you can just flick the breaker back on, instead of rewiring the fuse.

Just an extra - If the cooker is rated at 32A would that mean it would actually draw 32A at some time ?
It could do if everything is on full load at the same time.
What is the output of the cooker?

No. It could actually draw more. Whats the total possible WATTAGE combination of the elements within the cooker? The manufacturers often say their appliances are rated at 32 amps, when all they mean is this is the size circuit (in new money) they should be connected to.

It could be as little as 21 amps, as much as 40 amps maximum draw.

A 30 amp fuse can probably take 45 amps for several minutes.

The cooker's elements are all on thermostats. This means they cycle on and off. The only time the cooker would ever draw full power is if you wacked on all the rings and ovens/grill at once, which would hardly ever happen, and the elements would start cutting out on stats after a few minutes anyway.

And you should consider changing that fuse box for a modern consumer unit with full RCD protection. The fuse box last conformed to standards 20 years ago. A fuse wont save your life. An RCD probably will.

thanks for that - so really it wouldn't even be worth changing the wired fuse for a 32A Breaker type ?
No. It won't improve safety, and although easier to reset than a rewireable fuse, fuses and circuit breakers only trip when there is something wrong. If fuses need rewiring often, the problem needs to be found and fixed.

All comments noted and appreciated I have tried to find the actual wattage - I will find out what it is from my supplier before I order!

The cooker is a Lamona double fan oven from howdens HJA4560.

Got this from Spec sheet

Max appliance (input) 4965W

fuse rating 32A

So does that mean it will consume about 20A ?

Both of those cookers will be fine on the 30A circuit.

There are very few domestic ovens or cookers which require a circuit above 32A.

(oven=cooking box, cooker=all in one unit with hob and ovens)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back