New Cooker and hob set up help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a complete revamp of my kitchen
I’m having an integrated electric oven and induction hob fitted.
I have laid a 10mm cable from behind the new kitchen location into the ceiling and up, over and down to the fuse box.

Could someone please tell me the correct way to connect these two appliances to the 10mm cable and if this work or part of should be done before the kitchen units are installed.

I have a 45amp 2 gang dp cooker switch with a socket on & a 45amp unswitched cooker outlet plate if they’re of any use in these jobs.

Oven
16A amperage
Total load rating 3.2kW

Hob
220-240 voltage

Hope this is the right info - taken from the product specifications.

Sponsored Links
It’s a new circuit, so the work is notifiable. You need a registered electrician to do this. They should have done the design , installation and test themselves. Most won’t or aren’t willing to notify work done by others.
He/she will need to inspect the cable route so don’t cover anything over.

All new circuits must be RCD protected- you said “fuse box”. Fuse boxes usually don’t have RCDs, so there may be other work to do.

You can have an isolation switch, if you want. It’s not a regulation.

You’ll need a dual appliance connector plate.

What is the KW rating of the hob?

Hi Taylor

Thanks for your reply.
I’ve attached photos of the ‘fuse box’ and the hob.
Hope this answers your questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 60
Your hob is 7.4kW, so a 10mm² cable with a suitable MCB will be able to handle the load.
You dont have a fuse box. You have a consumer unit.

I can see two spare positions in the photo but they are not RCD-protected slots, so you cannot use either of those, unless an RCBO is installed..
It looks like the other ways are RCD-protected so maybe you have a spare position that your electrician can utilise. You'll have to ask him/her.

I am concerned that (except for the downstairs light) all circuits are relying on one RCD, this is a bad situation as an earth fault on any circuit will cut the supply to the whole house. Again, your electrician may be able to re-configure the consumer unit.
It is, however, no longer compliant as it is not made of a fire-resistant material. MK is not longer making consumer units although parts are still available through another maker.

Sponsored Links
Hi Taylor,
Thanks again for your reply.

Happy to know the 10mm cable is suitable and can go ahead and lay the carpets. Upstairs

Would it help to know that both 6”shower” and 9 “cooker” are no longer be used.
Both the electric shower and Cooker have been removed?
Would one of these slots work?

I will have the electrician asses if the unit can be reconfigured as you suggest. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 42
One of those would be suitable.

Remember that I advised you:
He/she will need to inspect the cable route so don’t cover anything over.
That means that you cannot yet
go ahead and lay the carpets. Upstairs
The electrician will have to certify that they designed, installed and tested the new circuit (if you can persuade them to lie) so they will need to assess their risk of being sued if a fire develops from your cable routing.

Find your registered electrician here: https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

I've got a bit lost here.
You say you have:
32A MCB in the consumer unit.
10mm² cable in place.
45A cooker switch... is this still fitted and wired in a suitable place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back