New CU - Circuit layout - shop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
my boss owns a small sandwich shop thats been plagued by rodents running under the floors from neighbouring properties - and stopping off (drive-thru style) to nibble at the cabling for the premises. Unsurprisingly causing loads of problems.

It now needs most of the circuits redone, either due to damage or due to not being sufficient for current usage - and extension leads running all over. He's asked for some ideas on circuit layouts + loading. He wants me to do it while quiet.

Hes planning on using a split load board 12way wylex. The current one is a 8 way volex or other tat with various makes/ratings/curve mcb's.

There are a few high power items, one lighting circuit, and the rest would be ring circuits for sockets. One idea i'd mentioned to him would be to try keep fridges/freezers somewhat seperate from the rings, to avoid poss tripping via rcd, but how separate do you go?

Having thought about the bits, i was thinking of sugesting :

1 Light circuit could be split into 2 if req'd but 6a mcb is OK
2 Dishwasher circuit, radial 2.5mm 20A mcb
3 Coffe maker circuit, radial 2.5mm 20A mcb
4 Fridge circuit (1x domestic fridge, 2x domestic chest freezers, 1 commercial fridge), Ring circuit 32A mcb
5 Future/proposed Grill circuit, radial 6.0mm 40A mcb
6 Seating area sockets, Ring circuit 2.5m 32A mcb
7 Front kitchen area sockets, ring circuit 2.5mm 32A mcb
8. Back Kitchen area sockets, ring circuit 2.5mm 32A mcb
9 A/C unit, radial 2.5mm, 16A mcb

Would this be worthwhile or should some of the frisges/freezers be split onto 2 circuits? There are 2 more drinks coolers/chiller units but they aren't as important so prob just go onto normal kitchen ring socket.

What would you suggest to be RCD/non RCD protected?

Thanks for any ideas!

Sponsored Links
You may not feel like thanking me, but my idea is that your boss would be best off getting an electrician to do this - it's a major job.

No problem - it was the sort of reply I was expecting to get - i know how people dont like to post what could end up being - 'dangerous' info on here. :)

Exactly same for gas queries.

Cheers anyway

I'm wondering what it all adds up to including diversity? Job for galv or SS conduit, like BAS says, you need an electrician owing to issues such as insurance, EAWR, HASWA etc etc.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with vermin gnawing on cables at one site. I rewired it in pyro, and all has been well since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back