New deck: grey coloured final finish, do we need to apply decking oil? What about Cut End Preserver?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

DIY-ers here and tomorrow we are embarking in our first deck build project.
Two questions that have been going through my head on the deck end finish and also protecting the cut timber ends.

I understand that a great (the best?) way to protect a finished decking is to use decking oil.

However the customer (i.e. the missus) is still of two minds whether she would want the decking painted (grey, and I am talking coated and not stained) or leave it natural.

1. Am I right in thinking that if we were to apply first the decking oil and we eventually were to decide for a grey colour, the grey wouldn't stick well as the decking oil has already sealed the surface? And therefore we should decide whether to either oil it or coat it (with an appropriate protective, probably I'd imagine oil-based paint)?

I also understand that we should treat any cut timber end with Cut End Preserver (the green stuff).

2. Seeing that we are going to finish the deck with either decking oil or a grey protective paint, can we treat the cut ends with either one of these two and will that offer a good protection? Or does the green stuff really go a better way at protecting and preserving, and thus should we treat any cut end with the green stuff and subsequently oil/coat it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back