New Desktop PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After years of tinkering with old PC's, I'm thinking about a new PC for my lads.

I like the look of this one, especially with Win 8.1 "avec le nouveau bouton de début"....

Even better with the discount, but sadly, all my PC's are way older than 5 years, the limit for the trade-in.

At £160, do you think it's good?

It doesn't need a touch screen, does it?

http://www.ebuyer.com/643319-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8000

Sponsored Links
We used zoostorm kit at my last place, I have to say I wasn't impressed by either build quality or reliability I'm afraid.

I've never used Zoomstorm so can't comment on the build quality. But a dual core celeron and only 4GB RAM won't be enough in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Well it's certainly cheap enough. I presume you already have screen and keyboard.

Personally, though, I'd avoid Windows 8 like the plague.

That one you are considering will be well out of date by the time you actually make your mind up.

I have got a lot quicker... ;)

JB, would you even avoid 8.1 where you can avoid most of the tiles and run it in desktop mode?

I still have a 1.4ghz laptop I use as a media player (dvd's and BBC i-player).

If all you intend to do is browse the net, spreadsheets, watch you-tube, then that computer will be perfectly adequate for years to come, ignore people who say it will be out of date next week.

As soon as you talk 3d games, CAD, Photoshop or other graphic programmes, then you need to start looking at £300 pound computers minimum.

You can get classic windows restorer for windows 8.1 (makes it work and look like either XP or windows 7).

Yea, get windows 7 rather than windows 8, but that advice isn’t very helpful as computer retailers won't often be able to give you that option due to licences.

Unless you can find a computer with no OS, and buy windows 7 separately, this will likely add £20-30 odd pounds to the overall price

Personally I would just buy the bits and slap it together rather than buy a pre-built, but for this price range it won't really make any appreciable cost difference.

I have got a lot quicker... ;)

JB, would you even avoid 8.1 where you can avoid most of the tiles and run it in desktop mode?

It's not just that. I suppose I could work around the stupid appearance 'improvements', and also I have heard that it is quicker than W7. No, the real disincentive for me is the fact that some of my older programmes (but which I find very useful) may not be supported by W8. Then there's my printer, again old now but still very reliable.

Price of the pc in your link seems cheap. It has higher spec than my Acer box that I paid double that price for 2 years ago. Poss worth a punt if it's just a computer for your kids. If it was for work, I would be paying more for a better known and regarded brand.

FWIW I have bought several Zoostorms of various specs for the office. I would be inclined, however, to go for the model with the AMD A4 processor (IIRC it's about £15 dearer than the one you linked to) as, in my opinion, the Celeron processor can be "somewhat lethargic".

Zoostorm, I have found, tend to use MSI, Asus or Gigabyte motherboards, Western Digital hard drives and Corsair RAM. The components themselves are OK, and of all the machines at work, only one has shown a problem, and that was after two years of use when it started randomly BSODding. For £80 + VAT I replaced the (Intel) mobo, processor and RAM with an AMD A4-5300. Everyone happy (including the company accountant)

I've never had the misfortune of dealing with a Zoostorm, but I do not hear good things about them. Low quality parts are required to get prices down that low. Nor would I recommend buying a Celeron. Ever.

I would agree with the advice to go with an AMD APU, they're the best bang for the buck.

I tend to recommend either building one or going with a reputable brand like Dell or HP. Both make respectable machines as long as you look at the business ranges. They do, however, start a little higher in price than the likes of Zoostorm. Engineering is expensive.

Sponsored Links
Back