New Dewalt XR Drills

gbu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen some of the dewalt XR drills at Screwfix and although the batteries are much better the Torque seems to be a lot less then the 'cheaper' drills.

I know you should always go for the Li-Ion batts over Ni-Cd but are you paying just for battery life compared to work rate of a drill.

The Torque spec for the more expensive XR drill is 35Nm
and the Torque for the cheaper Ni-Cd is 44Nm

So is the extra money being spent on battery life alone?

Sponsored Links
extra nm is gained by lower gearing perhaps the speed will be more useful overall

I know you should always go for the Li-Ion batts over Ni-Cd but are you paying just for battery life compared to work rate of a drill.
So is the extra money being spent on battery life alone?
You are Paying for a far superior power unit all round.

It is not just the battery life but the whole convenience of the battery and battery charging that is tuned to professional use.

Thanks for the replies :)

the thing i cant seem to decide on is wehther i get a cheaper ni-cd with higher torque or a more expensive Li-Ion.

I'm a plumber so although i do have to drill sometimes pipe brackets, radiators etc its not a big part of my job and sometimes can go a month without using a drill as im also a bit old fashioned and use a screwdriver rather then get the drill out everytime i come across something that needs to be unscrewed lol

So with that in mind would i really benefit having a battery life and performance that would take ages to run down over power as i need it in short periods?

i do understand the need for decent batteries but as i said its not a daily part of my working life using drills and when i do its seldom for more then an hour or so at a time.

Sponsored Links
i would go for the lithium 1 then,afaik they do not have a memory on the batteries,so having a ni-cd(could)end up been a tad expensive to you in the long run.

if you don't use the drill all the time, what you will find with ni-cad batteries is that they go flat even if you don't use them. Li batteries last longer and re-charge quicker.
+1 vote for get a bosch-blue drill
what do you want the drill for? drilling into wall for putting rawl plug in or using as a screwdriver?

Didn't see the point in the new XR range. I have the XRP 55Nm drill, don't use it much as its my backup. I have the 80Nm Makita BHP451. The extra torque is great, saves me getting the impact driver out a lot, using it less and less these days as it makes a right racket!

Didn't see the point in the new XR range. I have the XRP 55Nm drill, don't use it much as its my backup. I have the 80Nm Makita BHP451. The extra torque is great, saves me getting the impact driver out a lot, using it less and less these days as it makes a right racket!
Yea, but it keeps the nosey parkers away from you. Makes you sound like someone not to be messed with. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back