New Door Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a really old inside door were the door handle broke and I need to get a new one. Do door handles come with different types of fittings or are they all standard? The metal bar I would need to screw a new handle onto seems to be about ¼" in size with a groove in it. It was a rubbish plasticy handle on that side of the door previously but that broke. The other side has a round brass handle so hopefully will replace with something similar to that. Do I just need to look for handles that go onto ¼" bars? I have put two photos of the bar below.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Remove the remains of the broken knob by undoing the grub screw, which will pull the follower bar with it.
When you choose your new knob / handle make sure the follower bar is long enough to connect the two together...if its too short it may disengage, leaving the door effectively locked from one side.
John :)

Thanks guys! Yes it is a knob. I'm not too clued up with diy as I don't do enough of it that I should really. Yep pretty obvious I need a ¼" replacement - walked right into that one :oops:

Okay so handles are things that go up and down, and knobs are ones that twist or turn... just so I get that right. Can anyone recommend any websites to find some brass knobs on... without wanting to bring up anything explicit in the process... would you just try the usual... b&q, homebase, wicks, screwfix etc? Or is there any other places you recommend?

Cheers,
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back