New door opening width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to knock through from my hallway into my garage to create a new doorway into the garage. Can I still make it a 2' 6" doorway, or do I have to make it 2'9"? Space is at a premium and I think a 2'6" is doable, but ill struggle with 2'9"?

Its part of an ongoing extension so BCO will probably clock it.

Sponsored Links
Not sure on your question, but in case you were not aware, building control will likely want it to be a fire door if the room remains a garage

Yeah it will be a fire door. My question is, can I get away with a 2 foot 6 opening - or does it have to be 2 feet 9 inches - as in new houses.

Sponsored Links
I want to knock through from my hallway into my garage to create a new doorway into the garage. Can I still make it a 2' 6" doorway, or do I have to make it 2'9"? Space is at a premium and I think a 2'6" is doable, but ill struggle with 2'9"?

Its part of an ongoing extension so BCO will probably clock it.
2' 6" will be fine. Probably the same gap as the front door people would need to get through in order to access your new door.(y)

There are no regulations for door widths in this situation. If the garage is to remain a garage, then the limiting factor is whatever width fire door you can get.

If it helps Howdens do a range of narrow fire doors. I've just fitted a 626mm (just over 2Ft) wide FD30 fire door in my converted garage - it does look very narrow but it opens in to a very narrow storage space which once was the front end of my garage. Didn't really need a fire door but used one for other reasons - but if you are struggling to find a width in a style you need check them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back