New doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am just about to create a new doorway through an existing window. This window goes through an old outside wall that now goes into a new extention. Will the inside wall already have a lintel in place? The outside looks like it hasn't and has just got the pretty row of on end bricks.

How high do i have to set the lintel in the wall? At present the top of the window is 7ft 2in.

Is just bricking up the remainder of the wall Ok? What else do i need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Sponsored Links
there should be a lintel in place and you wouldnt necessarily see it from the outside.if you look closely you may see a small piece of metal just under the arch,soldier bricks if its a more modern steel lintel.you may have an in-situ concrete lintel if the property is older and in this case you wouldnt see any sign of the lintel from the outside.

If there is no movement now, then there is nothing to suggest there will be in the future. The soldier headers you are seeing are probably tied into the inner leaf (in-situ) concrete lintel via cavity wall ties.

If this is the case, then the whole thing is probably going to be stable as a door opening.

It is preferred however to remove these header bricks and to fit a pcc lintel, which is not too disruptive.

Lintel clearances for internal openings are usually set at about 82" from the floor so you are ok with 86".

there should be a lintel in place and you wouldnt necessarily see it from the outside.if you look closely you may see a small piece of metal just under the arch,soldier bricks if its a more modern steel lintel.you may have an in-situ concrete lintel if the property is older and in this case you wouldnt see any sign of the lintel from the outside.

Bah, beaten by the rapid Chuck! :p

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

noseall - This may seem silly but you state that the lintel is set at 82", what do i do with the other 5" that i would have under that height? ie: my other inside doors have a height of 77", obviously i will have the door kit in there as well but that is only 1/2" or so isn't it?

Thanks again

If you have continuity throughout the internal door heads then there is no reason why you can not set the lintel so that the new casing leaves very little gap at all.

Its is just that on site we set the lintels to the nearest brick/block course then fill in the gap left with timber and plasterboard or even lightweight masonry then plaster.

Do what ever is practical and convenient.

crazy foam!!!!!!!!

Should you really be encouraging diy enthusiasts to undertake structual changes to their property.

The only advice i will give you is be carefull, installing lintels is a job for a professional.

Should you really be encouraging diy enthusiasts to undertake structual changes to their property.

Oh sorry, silly me.

Anybody reading this, get a grown up to fit the lintel for you.

Anybody else get the feeling that ashymakerel and drnail are hollering from the same narcissistic haler. :rolleyes:

If there is no movement now, then there is nothing to suggest there will be in the future. The soldier headers you are seeing are probably tied into the inner leaf (in-situ) concrete lintel via cavity wall ties.

If this is the case, then the whole thing is probably going to be stable as a door opening.

It is preferred however to remove these header bricks and to fit a pcc lintel, which is not too disruptive.

Lintel clearances for internal openings are usually set at about 82" from the floor so you are ok with 86".

well thats a lot of probably this and probably that, but then i suppose an assumption is good enough.
Yeah mate go ahead rip it out and stick the lintel in to suit your door frame, youll probably be alright, and it will all probably stay up there if you want to have a cup o tea when youve ripped it out, but if some of it does fall down dont worry bout it cause itll probably fall on the floor, and its probably not supportin anythin anyway, cause its all probably supported by thin air.

So all the best mate, and good luck cause youll probably need it!

Wow obviously a builder that likes to charge a fortune - another job lost....

I do know about acro's and such. So no the window isn't out yet but it should be tomorrow :D

All i really wanted to know is do i bring the lintel down to the height of the door frame kit or is there something that i have to do in between the two.

Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back