New Downlights, No Earth Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased some new downlights from Wickes.

I have them ready to fit, but notice they have no earth fixing. They are double insulated so I am not concerned about that, but I am wondering what to do with my current set up.

I have attached a diagram (apologies for quality!) and hope you might be able to fill in the '?'. Should I remove the chocblock? Or should I just add a 2 core connection between the two?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either connect 2 core cable to your existing choc block then to the new fitting or remove your choc block, connect the neutral and line to your new fitting then put the earth from the T&E to a single choc block (don't forget the earth sleeve).

Two things

The choc block must be in an enclosure with strain relief for the cables (eg a chocbox or one of THESE .

If you are "daisy-chaining" several lights, the earth connection must be connected through from source to the last light. Its needed to provide the cpc and you'll need it to make the EFLI measurement when you are finished ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back