New DPM and Screed waterlogged garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Running out of ideas, money and patience so can someone offer some advice on a water logged garage.

Water is leaking in at the base, where the wall meets the slab. I have dug around the rear and left of the garage to give what I hoped was sufficient additional drainage but I have no access to the right side where my neighbour has a fence against the garage wall. I can see that the soil height between the wall and fence is above the ground level of the garage but can not get in to excavate.

The old owner clearly tried to apply tanking material to the first two courses of brick work but this has cracked and fallen off over last two years. Not sure if this was a good idea or not.

IMG_2787.jpg

I have thought about extra guttering to try and reduce the amount of water but figured this would not give the permanent solution I am looking for.

My other thought was to lay a DPM material either plastic or painted and raise the floor height with fresh screed or concrete. Would this raised height and additional DPM prevent water getting in at the base level? or would tanking again prove a better option?

Money is getting tight so any advice to prevent me wasting any more would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
No bites to original post so one update.

Have tried to waterproof the slab/wall joint at the back that I have access to by digging a ditch and filling with large rocks/pebbels. I then put a mortar wedge along the base of the wall to try and deflect water into the ditch, this was then treated with Thompsons waterproofer.

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg

Had a rare dry day so I put the hose pipe on the walls after drying surface water from inside the garage.

Checked 5 minutes later and could see water seeping through...

IMG_2946.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg

Any idea what I am doing wrong? would I be better just demolishing and building the bloody thing again. Never don't brick work but it couldn't be any worse than it is now.

No bites to original post so one update.

Have tried to waterproof the slab/wall joint at the back that I have access to by digging a ditch and filling with large rocks/pebbels. I then put a mortar wedge along the base of the wall to try and deflect water into the ditch, this was then treated with Thompsons waterproofer.

View attachment 340126View attachment 340125

Had a rare dry day so I put the hose pipe on the walls after drying surface water from inside the garage.

Checked 5 minutes later and could see water seeping through...

View attachment 340127View attachment 340128

Any idea what I am doing wrong? would I be better just demolishing and building the bloody thing again. Never don't brick work but it couldn't be any worse than it is now.
The detailing is all wrong at ground level. Looks like it was done on a budget and with little thought.

You might be able to remedy it with a plinth wall on a proper foundation and with more suitable bricks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall, found all sorts of bodge jobs in the house since buying it but the garage is a total nightmare.

Just been out to try and dig a bit from the sides but access is too tight where my neighbour has built a fence for some reason (maybe they don't like bricks).

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'the detailing is all wrong at ground level' assume you mean a bit of a cowboy job?

Driving me mad having a 7x3 space that I cant really use, the roof also needs replacing but no point doing that until I sort the leaking wall/base situation. I cant really afford to knock it down and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back