New Electric Hob/Oven and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I need to replace an old hob/oven with a new one, which will have more or less the same rating. I will use the old 6mm cable, so no hardwiring will be involved. Is this refitting notifiable according to part P?

Sponsored Links

I did read through that but it is not clear to me. Excuse my ignorance but English is not my first language and all that legal stuff...

"1. Work consisting of —(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of —(i) any new fixed cabling; " says I can.

"2. Work which —(a) is not in a kitchen," says I cannot. But is it really a work? I mean, it is almost like plugging a microwave into a socket.

Schedule 2B, 1.(a)(i) says it is non-notifiable so it doesn't require notification to your LABC.

Sponsored Links
I did read through that but it is not clear to me. Excuse my ignorance but English is not my first language and all that legal stuff...
Sorry about that - didn't realise.

It's a lot better than any of my second ones.

And a lot better than that of some people we get here who claim it as their first... ;)

The way that schedule works is that you stop reading as soon as you find something which matches what you are doing, so...

"1. Work consisting of —(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of —(i) any new fixed cabling; " says I can.
It does indeed, so you stop there.

Not notifiable.

Typical BAS innit?

Instead of quoting the guidance that is provided for any Tom, Dïck or Harry, he quotes the legislation. Why were the Approved Documents published? Pointless if you take BAS's attitude.

The AD is straightforward: Table 1, note m says
The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed.

Even that's too difficult for many electricians to read, who think it mentions "like for like" which it does not.

Instead of quoting the guidance that is provided for any Tom, Dïck or Harry, he quotes the legislation. Why were the Approved Documents published? Pointless if you take BAS's attitude.
I;m sorry you consider that giving peope the most accurate information possible is pointless.

"tamales wrote:

Sorry about that - didn't realise.

It's a lot better than any of my second ones.

And a lot better than that of some people we get here who claim it as their first...
"

I liked that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back